Can't scroll in start menu windows 10

Reaction score
Hey all.

I updated my windows to 10 and all is good besides the scrolling.

I cannot scroll in the start menu or some other menus in windows. (File explorer works and of curse that in chrome everything works.)

It's just the start menu and basically all the menus in the new windows 10.

The funny thing is that's it shows me the little mark that's get showed when you actually do scroll, but nothing happens.

I'm using Samsung 9 series, with Syntaptics drivers which are installed.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you have any additional mouse software installed?

That may be conflicting now. Try disabling or uninstalling it.

Reaction score
Thanks, but i hove no other mouse software what so ever..
I even tried deleting the mouse from device manger and reinstalling, nothing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK then,
  • Try right-clicking on Start then left-clicking on Control Panel
  • If you are viewing by Category then under Programs click Uninstall a program

Or if you are viewing by small or large icons then click Programs and Features

• Now locate Sanmsung Smart Gestures | right-click and select repair

Reaction score
I have no such thing installed...

And from a quick search online, it seems that the "Samsung Smart Gestures" is something for the Samsung Smart Tv's and not something i can download or install..

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Interesting,

An older HP laptop I have has its own variation of Smart Gestures.

I guess that leaves you back with the Synaptic drivers then. You mentioned you were using these on your 9 series. Can you post which version you are currently using?

Can you also confirm that your mouse pointer is in fact hovered over the Start menu list that contains a scroll-able list. Obviously, if the mouse pointer is not located here scrolling will not occur.

Regedit32

Reaction score
And the driver version is?

It seems to be this is an OEM driver versus using say a direct download from synaptics issue and something you ought to inform either your computer manufacturer about or synaptics directly.

Their latest Windows 10 version is 19.0.19.1 that addressed several issues, but possibly has not addressed your very specific issue. However they do warn if your system is an OEM install to default to the manufacturer drivers instead, in which case you need to contact Samsung and get them to sort this issue out.

In short its nothing within Windows 10 causing the problem, but rather the drivers for your ps/2 click pad that are the problem.

Reaction score
Try This:
Start menu _settings-t devices-mouse and touchpad. Look for 'scroll inactive windows'. it should be on, but may have ben turned off. Turn it on again, if so.

Reaction score
Try This:
Start menu _settings-t devices-mouse and touchpad. Look for 'scroll inactive windows'. it should be on, but may have ben turned off. Turn it on again, if so.

Definitely not the case here as you can see in the video... Thanks dough

And Regedit32,
I tried looking for some new drivers from Samsung or an update, but the only thing i could find were old 2011 drivers which came out with the laptop itself.

I tried installing the latest Synaptics drivers that are available, but when i do nothing happens.

The computer acts like no driver has ever been installed, and if i go to mouse settings i don't have the Synaptics tab anymore.

So for now i went back to the 2011 driver which at least i have the Synaptics tab in the mouse settings, and the computer acknowledges that driver were installed.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That was my point.

You have OEM drivers that need addressing and your best bet for getting that happening is contacting Samsung who provide those drivers as Synaptic state on their site their drivers are not recommended when OEM drivers are in play.

You may be in a similar situation that I am where I have a computer now old enough that while it meets the minimum specifications for Windows 10, unfortunately its at an age where the manufacturer will no longer support it with updated drivers.

Eventually, I'll need to replace my computer as a result. Possibly some day you may need to do the same. For now though given you can probably left-click then use arrow keys to scroll, its not something you need to do instantly.

It might be worth emailing Synaptic too letting them know your issue and the drivers Samsung currently offer to see whether they can possibly offer help - which might be forthcoming if your computer is at its end of life status in terms of continued support from Samsung.

Reaction score
Hey all.

I updated my windows to 10 and all is good besides the scrolling.

I cannot scroll in the start menu or some other menus in windows. (File explorer works and of curse that in chrome everything works.)

It's just the start menu and basically all the menus in the new windows 10.

The funny thing is that's it shows me the little mark that's get showed when you actually do scroll, but nothing happens.

I'm using Samsung 9 series, with Syntaptics drivers which are installed.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
I had a problem where when I tried to scroll down with the mouse wheel in start menu it would just go down a little then shoot back up to A. For example I wanted to scroll down to Microsoft word but it would go to D then shoot back up to A. I could, however scroll down with the arrow keys on my keyboard, so I decided it must be the wireless mouse. Logicool. So I changed the battery, restarted mouse, restarted keyboard ...same thing. Finally, I took out the USB transmitter for the mouse in my PC USB drive and reinserted it and that fixed the problem....glad I did not buy a new mouse.

Ask a Question