Can't see NAS in Explorer?

Reaction score
Good Day! One other culprit for this issue is Qustodio, the parental control software. This is a great multi-device approach to controlling and managing time and access on the internet for kids (if you are a parent, you must use something...and this is one of the best I have found...remember your kids can never "unsee" something nasty even if by accident).

Anyway, the PC client of Qustodio has a few issues in blocking access to things even on my administrator login account set to not be monitored or blocked. In one case it messed with Minecraft (until they fixed it with a patch, requiring uninstall/reinstall), another one was with the game "PvZ garden warfare 2" (could not connect to EA servers on any account on the PC).

Only recently, when I uninstalled Qustodio completely to get PvZ GW2 to work, did I find I could see my NAS in file explorer again (nothing else worked in this or any thread). I recently re-installed the client and noted my NAS was gone again!!! So I uninstalled again and re-booted and there was my NAS in the network file explorer as it should be. Test validated.

I have found "Qustodio" issues hard to detect/find when google searching on "a PC problem" so if you are reading this and use Qustodio, be sure to try an uninstall if you are finding something does not work with networking or access problems just to check that off the list of possible problems.

Reaction score
thanks all for your help so far.
so I have a windows 10 (anniversary) laptop, and Netgear ready nas NVX
i have tried:
-the unchecking of the power settings in network adapter advice
-the CMD command prompts as administrator

Unfortunately still can't see my NAS in RAIDAR. Does anyone have any further ideas please?

Thanks

Reaction score
Can't see NAS drives in your network on Windows 10? Here is the solution:
1/ run cmd as admin
2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and you are done!
Had the same problem. This solution worked perfectly. Thank you.

Reaction score
I have had a similar problem off and on. Tried the solution above yesterday and it worked. Today the problem has returned and the fix no longer works. Any clues on a solution?

Reaction score
1/ run cmd as admin
Thanks for this, your a star. Fixed in seconds an issue I had been working on for several hours.

Reaction score
Thanks to omiklik addition , I realized I had to check if the SMB 1.0 that was installed on my new Windows 10 PC.

So that was the trick for me. After the upgrade the Windows 10 feature
SMB 1.0 /CIFS was never installed on my laptop.
So I installed it and now I can finally see my NAS.

Reaction score
Some NAS devices have specific servers available if configured. Such thing as iTunes may be available and Twonky may be related to Roku or some type of media streaming server.

You should be able to see such things if you go to the admin page on the NAS. But I agree with trouble in that if a device is not accessed for long periods it might drop off the grid. Refreshing the network listings or resetting NAS might help.

View attachment 1816

I've the same sort of issue, it's driving me nuts.
I get a similar screenshot as Saltgrass.
I can access the media files on the NAS drive through "Twonky";
I get sent to an IP address using the "Storage" icon, and can log in through WD software;
but I can't see the NAS drive as a "computer" to access the files.
This is from my Windows 10 desktop connected to the NAS drive via the Ethernet Hub.

My Windows 10 laptop does see the NAS drive as a "computer" in Explorer, and can access the files. This is over a wireless connection to the router, then back to the Ethernet hub.

It seems there should be a simple answer, so I've compared network settings, firewall settings, followed the solutions suggested at #13/14 of this thread, but I can't find it!

Reaction score
I was just wanting Windows Explorer to show my NAS drive any time I opened it. This was to make it easily accessible like it was in Windows 7 & 8.1.

This solved the problem for me....

I just went to the Windows Firewall/Advanced : by going to "Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall". Then, click or tap Advanced settings.
Left pane select "Outbound Rules". Right pane select "New Rule"/Type of rule=Program/"Program Path": Browse to explorer.exe(should be in C:\windows. Next/Allow the connection/NEXT/Select only private/NEXT/Name it whatever you want/NEXT.
Done
Thank you!! I've been trying to fix it for hours and this finally solved the problem. My WD Mycloud ex2 Ultra didn't show up on any of the three windows 10 computers I needed it to work with. Interestingly enough a different fix worked for every single one of them - I couldn't make the last one work with any of the previous methods until I stumbled upon your post. So just thanks!

Reaction score
1/ run cmd as admin

OMG this saved me after trying EVERYTHING on the web. I cannot possibly thank you enough even though I don't have the foggiest idea why this works.

Reaction score
I SOLVED MY PROBLEM!!
I had a Win10 computer that could not see my Synology NAS and one that could.
What I did to fix it was export the Lanman registry entries from the working Win 10 to the other and viola, connection!
The registry entries were:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

HTH!

Ask a Question