Can't shutdown laptop

Reaction score
I just installed windows 10 on my formerly windows 7 HP Probook (2011).
Now I can't shutdown the computer anymore unless I hold the power button down till it goes off.
If I go to the window/start button then go to power and then to shutdown it apparently shutsdown but then just sits doing nothing with a nice picture of a cave on a beach that I've never seen before.

Any suggestions?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
May be a stupid question but have you right click the start button and then shut down that way.
Also have you tried ALT+f4
Someone on another forum recommended that way.
Better than the way you are doing it.

On your problem have you set
Put the computer to sleep as Never
Also mine is set to high performance which shuts I down lovely

Reaction score
I just installed windows 10 on my formerly windows 7 HP Probook (2011).
Now I can't shutdown the computer anymore unless I hold the power button down till it goes off.
If I go to the window/start button then go to power and then to shutdown it apparently shutsdown but then just sits doing nothing with a nice picture of a cave on a beach that I've never seen before.

Any suggestions?

No guarantees, but try this..............
Go to Power Options > left side, click Choose what the power buttons do > click the blue link that says " Change settings that are currently unavailable " > use the scroll bar on the right, scroll down a bit > under Shutdown settings heading, UN-check the box "Turn on fast start " > click Save changes when done.

Now try to shut down your computer and see if it does shut down now.

Ask a Question