Can't Stop Windows 10 from Waking my Computer While Sleeping

Reaction score
I upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 Home 64-bit; this was never an issue on Windows 7. Basically I cannot find a way to keep my desktop in sleep mode. Multiple times it has turned on in the middle of the night, and pretty much every time I leave for the weekend I come back to find it turned on.

Windows updates seem to be the issue, but lately I haven't been able to confirm this (though the notification always seems to be there when I login). I get the following when I try lastwake:

lastwake.png

My guess is that there are no details because I have Windows notify me instead of automatically updating.

I also have wake timers disabled:

powersettings.png

I thought maybe my mouse or keyboard could be the issue (though I've never had a problem with them in the past). I disabled HID-Compliant Mouse from device manager:

hidcompliantmouse.png

And I unchecked the box which allows my mouse to wake my computer. After testing it out, this appears to have had no effect as my mouse can still wake the computer when I click it.

logitechmouse.png

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched around for solutions online, and searched through these forums looking for a solution, but haven't really found anything besides the steps I've tried.

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Will

Reaction score
How about your network device or your BIOS. Does either one have 'Wake on Lan' enabled

Reaction score
It looks like my network device had 'Wake on Lan' enabled. I have since disabled it.

WoL.png

I checked in my BIOS but don't see a WoL feature. Am I missing anything?

WoLBIOS.png

Let me know!

Thanks,
Will

Reaction score
Hopefully disabling WOL at the network adapter will do it. I guess you looked in all the pages of the BIOS

Reaction score
Well I come back home from Christmas and my computer is awake again, so I guess the network adapter didn't solve the issue.

Here's what I get from the event log:

wakeevent.png

So it looks like just a few hours after I left, something woke up my computer.

When I returned there were no update notifications, but when I look through the active wake timers, I find the following:

waketimers.png

This appears to be scheduled every day (and it occurred at roughly the same time my computer was woken up on the 24th). I've unchecked the box that allows it to wake up my computer to run. Should be able to test it out in just a few hours.

Reaction score
I've notice both W10 pc's at my place doing this. Also neither seems to sleep anymore either. Like never... they did in the beginning then quit, then started sleeping again, now don't anymore... W10 updates are scary...

Reaction score
I have this if I have .a logitech wireless mouse (with a USB dongle) plugged in. If I use a Bluetooth mouse, it doesn't wake up.

Not sure if that helps

Alan

[Edit - my settings were set to "allow device to wake the computer". I've turned it off and I'll report back if I see any difference - it may help you, it may not]

Last edited:

Ask a Question