Changing computer network

Reaction score
Can we change the networks our 2 PCs are connected to?

One says it's connected to Network 8, the other to Network 9.

Recently changed modem/router. Have completed setup wizard on printer and it's connected to HomeGroup.

Can we alter each PC to HomeGroup?

Or alter one PC and printer to the other PC's Network?

Neither will communicate with the HP printer. We've tried HP Printer and Scan Dr with no answers!

Reaction score

Thanks Ben. We've been through that setup wizard on the printer. It's not the printer now that's the problem. It's definitely to do with the networks on the 2 PCs. An iPad is communicating with the printer.

Have been to Advanced Settings for each computer and setup Home Group, but the printer is still not talking to us.

So we're still scratching our heads on it.

Reaction score
From experience with two Wifi HP printers they like to connect to the router on the same subnet as the PCs that are to talk to them. *1
If, for instance the PC IP addresses are 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y then the printer should be 192.168.1.z *2 with the same subnet mask, DNS and gateway. Normally the subnet for all three would be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway would be the IP address of the router on the lan side 192.168.1.p The DNS might be provided by your ISP *3 or you could use a public DNS. When you connect the printer to Wifi it should do all this stuff and just ask for the Wifi password

If the router is set up to DHCP with a reasonable range, lets say 192.168.1.20 to .50 all three devices and the IPAD should all correctly get addresses in the range and be able to see each other.

*1 They do have a form of WiFi direct useful for printing from phones and theoretically with Windows 10. You could use that but I wouldn't.
*2 Personally I give my printers and my NAS box static IP addresses. So in my example above I'd give the printer something like 192.168.1.200

*3 Some routers will have a DNS cache and the DNS address will be the routers IP address. If the PCs can get to the internet don't worry about it!

Reaction score
I don't use Homegroup but I have read it is no longer available in Win 10.

You have checked your workgroups and they are all the same?

The fact you systems are on different networks is a little strange, it that being done on purpose? Is there another Gateway involved or maybe a 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz radio with different names?

I think I would look at the iPad and see what IP address it is using for the Printer then see if you can see it with the Win 10 machine. Does you router have some type of Network map on its admin setup page?

Ask a Question