SOLVED Chkdsk procedure Help

U

User73

I started a chkdsk procedure on a 1tbHDD 27 mins ago after getting a ATTEMPTED TO WRITE READ OVER MEMORY BSOD. I was wondering how long this procedure usually takes, currently it's at 10%.

I was also curious as to whether or not there is a way to stop this procedure once it has started? If so would it damage the HDD or just delete data from the HDD?

U

User73

It can take several hours. I would let it just run its course.
I returned after 3 hours and turned on my monitor to see my desktop. I assume it has been completed, how could I check the results of chkdsk?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose event viewer
In the Event Viewer expand "Windows Logs" and select "Application"
With "Application" log selected go to the "Action" item on the menu bar and select "Find"
In the text box type
chkdsk
That's pretty much all there is to it.
Read through the report, especially near the bottom to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Capture.PNG

U

User73

Right click the start button and choose event viewer
In the Event Viewer expand "Windows Logs" and select "Application"
With "Application" log selected go to the "Action" item on the menu bar and select "Find"
In the text box type
chkdsk
That's pretty much all there is to it.
Read through the report, especially near the bottom to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

View attachment 8810
I found the results and Windows says everything is fine. There aren't any bad sectors. However I noticed 1365 unused index entries were cleaned up from index $SII of file 0x9 and 1365 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9 and 1365 unused security descriptors were also cleaned. Any idea what this means?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea exactly, but.....
I can tell you that I've seen that many, many times running chkdsk on multiple different drives and installation.
I've always considered it a bit of good housekeeping and never worried about it.
The only thing I ever watch for is any notes as to errors during recovery or KBs in bad sectors.
So, my thoughts are that you're good to go.

Ask a Question