SOLVED Cloning New HD

Reaction score
I attempted cloning my Grandsons SSHD yesterday using Macrium version 7. I've cloned drives before, but this comes up with an error message "The target disk has an incompatible sector size for this operation. Please choose a different disk"
I ran out of time and will attempt using other 3rd party software, on the weekend.
I have read the error is because I'm using a Sata USB adapter. And, to solve the problem connect the new drive directly to the PC and Sata connection? I'm attempting to clone from a GPT 2 TB SSHD to a Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD. He does have a recent image, under the circumstances would I be better booting the new HD using Macrium rescue media and installing the recent image. I also noticed he has a 16GB HD partition that I believe is an Intel Optane partition, I may require software to install the Optane partition although Macrium does recognize the pre-clone partition.

Reaction score
Try using Aomei Free. It has a disk clone option that always works for me. I have had nothing but error messages every time I have tried to use Macrium Reflect going back many many years. And including version 7 recently.

Reaction score
The last half-dozen HDDs I've cloned were done on an Eaxer dock with only one issue, it can't change the partitions. It does exactly what is intended, with the USB cable disconnected from any computer, clone a drive to a clean drive keeping the partitions and the sizes. If cloning to a larger drive there is resultant unallocated space to work with. Haven't needed to try it with a larger source drive to a smaller destination drive. And they have all been bootable when put in a computer. When not needed for cloning it serves as a 3-port USB Hub and for simple copying/storing of files.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I plan on using either Aomei or Partition Wizard. I don't believe my free Acronis WD Edition software supports cloning? I'll keep you informed. The OEM sent him a link for re installing the Intel Optane. First on the agenda will be backing up his drivers. A clean install of 1803 is also high on the list, I also have the Cumulative update ISO's.
@ram1220 I'm a big fan of Aomei too, great software and user friendly.

Reaction score
Last time (a while ago) this happened to me, I mad an image (I use Acronis also), and then copied the image to the new HD. It required a little, but minor, tinkering with drivers etc, but most was done automatically.

Reaction score
Re-cap OP Unable to clone new SSHD was attempting to clone a new Segate FireCuda SSHD for my Grand son.
Hardware used was my ULTRA USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable adapter. Never had any problems using the adapter until now. However, this was the first time I've attempted to clone an Hybrid drive.
Macriuim, Aomei, and Partition Wizard all reported the same (similar wording) "The target disk has an incompatible sector size for this operation. Please choose a different disk"
I was ready to throw in the towel. I decided to try one more procedure. I used the adapter to supply power to the new HD and instead of using the adapter SATA to USB connector, I connected the new HD directly to a SATA connector on the motherboard. Problem solved, no more error message. The new HD was successfully cloned. We were both Happy
icon_bounce.gif

I think that maybe the incompatible sector message was the solid state cache partition and it's not recognised through a SATA to USB setup?

Reaction score
Sometimes one needs an external power source to drive the external HDD (SSD). USB ports can deliver only so much power - USB2 only 500mA, USB3 900mA. if the drive draws more current, this may happen what you experienced. My Samsung SSD draw about 1200mA while my Western Digital draw only 700mA (same capacity). Look on the drive itself, there should be info about current draws listed....

Reaction score
Thanks Grizzly. I was always using the external power adapter. The drive is rated at +5V 1.0A.
I believe the 1.0 amp rating would be the spinner drive The only difference was I connected the SATA connector directly to the MOB. Bypassing the USB and connecting the SATA directly to the MOB made the difference.

Reaction score
Conclusion.
I appears that it's not possible to clone disks that contain different sector sizing using a SATA USB connection. After struggling with the issue and resolving myself, I happened to stumble across why the problem existed and how to resolve Disk Sector size issues.I thought I would share this article from Paragon.

https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/79

Ask a Question