unable to burn to optical drive after cloning HD

Reaction score
HI,

To save not having to reinstall Win 10 and all of the updates , I cloned my 240GB SSD to a 480GB SSD. It seemed that was successful and everything was seeming to work as it did before the clone. But when I try to burn data to either a blu-ray or DVD disc using the software Ashampoo Burning Studio 2017, I keep getting a "Media write error". I even tried creating an ISO with Ashampoo Burning Studio 2017 and then burn that but still got the same error. I tried using to burn the ISO file with IMGBurn and Win 10's built in burning capabilities and still get a "Media write error".

I did try to do a test run with IMGBurn in "Test" mode where it tests writing to the burner but does not actually burn any data.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this trouble and a way to fix it?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume that the move to the larger SSD was,. simply to increase your available space and not because of some other problem.
I also infer from your post that this problem was not present with the other hard disk in place.
Have you tried swapping the old hard drive back just to confirm?

I can't imagine that cloning one drive to another would have produced this issue.
Have you tried using device manager to remove / uninstall the burner and then rebooting to see if Windows picks it up properly again?
Have you tried re-installing Ashampoo on the off chance that some bits might have been scrambled during the cloning.

Sometimes, removing, replacing and moving components around can result in some problems with interface cabling, perhaps inspect both ends of the interface as well as the power connector and confirm that it is seated properly and firmly, and consider a different (new) interface cable for the burner.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

yes it was simply to increase the available space and was not having any problems with the other drive.
I will try the drive swap back to the old drive and see what happens.

Strange that IMGBurn did not work as I installed it after cloning so maybe the drivers were corrupted during the clone so I will also try using device manager and reinstall the burner.

Reaction score
After swapping back to the old drive, I had no problems with burning blu-rays or DVDs.

With the new drive, I disconnected my burner and went into device manager and uninstalled it and rebooted and made sure no burner turned up in the device manager. I then shut down and reconnected my burner and booted up. Then I uninstalled Ashampoo and did a registry cleaning and then rebooted. I reinstalled Ashampoo and then tried burning a blu-ray and got the same error, I tried a DVD and to my surprise it was successful. I then tried to burn the blu-ray at a slower speed and go the same error again.

I made sure all of the settings for Ashampoo were the same on both my old drive and new drive yet with my old drive I am have no troubles. All the cables and what SATA ports on the motherboard are exactly the same. All I am doing is swapping the new drive with the old drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried a DVD and to my surprise it was successful
Well that's some success I guess.
I assume you've tried a different BD?
Guessing that a write error might be produced from faulty media?

Reaction score
Well that's some success I guess.
I assume you've tried a different BD?
Guessing that a write error might be produced from faulty media?
It could be a faulty laser as well, BTDT. Since his old drive appears to be working the problem can be in the new drive.
Here is an idea: Artoo, your blanks may not be compatible with your new drive. I recommend to check with the manufacturers website to see which blanks will work with the new drive. It is a long shot but not impossible..
I know this problem with incompatible blanks from LG drives....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's the same drive (optical drive).
I think the only drive he changed was his OS drive (SSD).

And just to add some extra weirdness.
When he puts his old hard drive back in, his optical drive works fine.

Reaction score
ok, my bad. I missunderstood his old drive was the 240GB SSD. Somehow it does not make sense. I mean the system is exactly the same or isn't it??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.
I suppose there is some remote possibility that the actual BlueRay Disc (media) may have some cached information either on it or associated with it that may be causing some issue.
But if a new unused BD media results in the same write error then IDK what the problem might be

Reaction score
Trouble is right, the only thing I'm changing changing is the SDD drive, everything else is exactly the same.

I'm running out of ideas, other then doing a fresh install of Win10 on my new 480GB SSD and reinstall my apps and install all the windows updates again. How frustrating!

Ask a Question