Cold-boot problems with Windows 10

LRK

Reaction score
I'm running the ASUS M3A76-CM motherboard with an AMD 64 Athlon processor--8 Gb of RAM.

Recently I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and now have a cold-booting problem. When I do a complete shutdown, the next time try to boot up, it freezes at the Setup screen. A hard shutdown and repeat push of the Start button on my tower gets past the Setup, but fails to bring up the "Loading Asus Expressgate" message and then freezes during Windows startup. If I do a second hard shutdown and start a third time, it finally brings up the "Loading Asus Expressgate" message and bootup continues normally. Very annoying. It always starts after the third attempt. Any suggestions of why this is happening and how I can fix it. Since the only thing that's changed on my machine is the upgrade to Win10, I suspect that's involved.

Reaction score
I looked for 'Asus Expressgate' on Google and I got the impression that you could turn it off in the Bios. It may not be 100% compatible with W10.

Looks as if there is a W10 driver for it. search for that and the problem may be solved.

LRK

Reaction score
I looked for 'Asus Expressgate' on Google and I got the impression that you could turn it off in the Bios. It may not be 100% compatible with W10.

Looks as if there is a W10 driver for it. search for that and the problem may be solved.

Thanks, I'll try it this evening and see if it works.

LRK

Reaction score

Disabled Express Gate in Setup. Boot problem persists; still takes three hard shut-downs and re-tries. It always boots on the third try.

LRK

Reaction score

When I tried to download the Win 10 drivers from ASUS, it wanted me to install Driver Navigator, which appears to be a third-party app that I'm not crazy about downloading. Is there any other way to get the driver for Windows 10?

Reaction score
When you say 'disabled in setup' you mean in the bios? This thing comes up BEFORE Windows does. Which is probably why you have to boot more than once to get it to go away.

I agree about these "driver helper" type tools. Was this one linked directly from ASUS.COM or ASUS.TW? If so it might be ok.

Ask a Question