Cold call telephone scam - Windows 10

Reaction score
I recently installed W10 which is working reasonably apart from well reported glitches.

Yesterday i had a phone call from a company calling itself "Phone Line Technical Support" Whilst not holding themselves out to be representing Microsoft, they say they know my W10 licence number. They claim that there are major corruptions in W10 which they want to put right, and urged me to open up my PC straight away as it was switched off. I did not do so. There was something suspicious about the language used, the insistence that i get on my PC straight away, and that the caller was not English, apparently in a non-UK call centre. Someone from the same company called again today.

I have reported this to Microsoft, who confirmed that this is a known scam. Has anyone on this forum had a similar experience?

Reaction score
Ask them for their MS identity number - sometimes works. I had a spate of them a while ago, and in the end, when I say an unlisted call on the telephone, I would pick up and say "Microsoft. Denmark, can I help you. That got rid of them quickly.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes a couple in the last few days.
It would seem the time is ripe.
Lot of people having some issue or other with Windows 10.... that's a foot in the door.
they say they know my W10 licence number
That's better than average odds in their favor as there is a common number for many many upgrades.

Reaction score
Ask them for their MS identity number - sometimes works. I had a spate of them a while ago, and in the end, when I say an unlisted call on the telephone, I would pick up and say "Microsoft. Denmark, can I help you. That got rid of them quickly.
Thanks Dave!

Reaction score
I would not turn on my PC for anyone on the phone even if it was Gates himself.

For James I imagine the next thing would have been for them to have him access a particular web site and within a few hundred milliseconds he would have a machine full of malware.

Ask a Question