Computer shuts down while playing games?

Reaction score
Hello. I'm only 12 but I would like to know the answer of my question. When I log in to a game platform, (Roblox for example) after about 3-5 minutes the colors of the screen change to an eerie pink or red. It would be the color of any high contrast color. The sound makes a weird buzzing sound of some sort and after about 30 seconds the computer shuts down to the words: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." Anybody know what's happening?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a temperature issue.
I would check every fan that should be spinning and make sure that it is
AND
Make sure the its' associated heat sink is firmly in-place and free of any accumulated debris.

It's likely either that or you have a hardware component that is failing badly.
Every 3 - 5 minutes is not good.

Reaction score
That's definitely a sign of overheating. The computer is protecting itself against damage. And with colors changing on screen, it sounds like the graphics card overheating. I'd download MSI Afterburner, and setup the overlay to monitor gpu and cpu temps. If you want, you can post your temps while idle and in game before the computer shuts down, along with your detailed system specs.

Reaction score
Does your vid card have its own fans? Make sure they are working. You could also run the machine with the side cover off out in the open and aim a fan at it and see what happens.

I agree with the others...something is getting too hot. Can you tell us the make and model of the PC and the video card.

Reaction score
Hi,

also check what your PSU (Power Supply Unit) has in terms of power, (how many watts it has), if it is under-powering, your PC will shut down and/or you will get a BSOD due to insufficient power to the GPU and the other main components of your motherboard.

What GPU are you using?. :)

Reaction score
Aside from what others have mentioned I have little to add. Definitely sounds like GPU issues. Whether it is getting to hot or not enough power.

There is one additional thought though. If your system uses shared memory, that would extend graphical issues to the motherboard and memory modules. That is less likely to be the case, if your GPU only uses dedicated memory.

Reaction score
As you are 12. Obviously you need a new PC.
I7 , 32 Gb of DDR4. 512 SSD and a 2tb Spinner, 24" monitor. Whatever the latest in Nvidia gaming cards is this week, mechanical gaming kb and a gaming mouse. So this doesn't happen again I would suggest a good quality case with an 850watt PSU and liquid cooling for the CPU, VIdeo card and maybe the Northbridge ( or is it South bridge chip on the MoBo). 1GB internet connection. For your 13th birthday.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I propose that we wait until the OP responds / comments.
We know less than nothing about his computer, whether it's a cray supercomputer or a 32 gig tablet.
He might have opened it and found everything coated and clogged with dust-bunnies.
He may or may not return with info

Reaction score
One other possibility, if the computer is a few years old or several years old some sudden shutdowns can be attributed to the "bulged or leaking capacitors" on the motherboard or in the power supply. Those were manufacturing defects and probably no longer exist on newer computers.

Ask a Question