Confusion With Reformatting

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've run into some confusion in regards to reformatting on my somewhat new laptop, I previously owned a PC which came with a disk with all the necessary drivers for reformatting the system if need be, it had a built in program that would simply install one thing after the other until the process was done.

This laptop didn't come with any kind of disk that does this, is it fair to assume that I need to go onto the manufacturers website and download all the necessary files and place them onto an external drive? Or is it a little more complex then that?

I'm not really sure how to do the procedure completely manually, I also have trouble booting my laptop into the BIOS, I don't receive a prompt during the boot screen which indicates which button to press like my PC did, can anyone shed some light on this matter also?

Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This laptop didn't come with any kind of disk that does this
You might consider contacting the manufacturer. They should be able to supply you with the necessary media to factory reset your computer if that is your intention.
IF the laptop is new and still under warranty then this is normally free. IF not there might be a nominal fee.
I also have trouble booting my laptop into the BIOS
Depending again on the manufacturer, the key or key combo can be different.
HP = hold Esc when powered on
Others might be anything from F2, F10, F12, Delete, etc.

Reaction score
The newer systems come with the factory media on the drive. It is designed to be used with a key combination during boot or an option you select in another manner.

Depending on how you got Win 10, the original factory may or may not be available.. If you upgraded from a prior OS and have been running Win 10 for more than 30 days, you may not be able to recover to a Factory Install. If it is a Win 10 original system, you should be able to use the Recovery options to get what you want.

Bif

Reaction score
The newer systems come with the factory media on the drive. It is designed to be used with a key combination during boot or an option you select in another manner.

Depending on how you got Win 10, the original factory may or may not be available.. If you upgraded from a prior OS and have been running Win 10 for more than 30 days, you may not be able to recover to a Factory Install. If it is a Win 10 original system, you should be able to use the Recovery options to get what you want.
I've often wondered this myself, my original factory OS on my HP laptop was 7 home, did the upgrade to 10 home in July..still have my recovery partition on the drive and have always wondered if that OS on/in there is 7 or 10.As I read somewhere on the web of misinformation that the upgrade did not alter and or change that partition, interested in finding out however..but not feeling like a guinea pig today.
Any way of viewing the files in that partition to determine?..

Reaction score
Bif I doubt that it will have the windows 7 recovery partition, Mine created an unassigned (drive letter) 449 MB recovery partition that I believe is Windows 10. I think its best not to tamper with the partition, it's contents are hidden.

Ask a Question