OneDrive Confusion

Reaction score
I've been using OneDrive very successfully for years but have just noticed something that I don't understand. I save all my documents to my OneDrive folder on my laptop. But when I click on my local documents folder on my pc, the same documents appear there. Initially, I thought that I was holding copies of these files and, wishing to save space on my hard drive, deleted all the files in my local documents folder. I then realised that all the files in my OneDrive documents folder had also gone. Luckily the Recycle bin saved the day.

If I look at the properties of any of the files in my local folder, the location is shown as OneDrive. I don't have this problem with music or pictures, it's just with documents. I know these forums are really for people with problems but I do like to try and understand things. So what's going on?

Reaction score
I've been using OneDrive very successfully for years but have just noticed something that I don't understand. I save all my documents to my OneDrive folder on my laptop. But when I click on my local documents folder on my pc, the same documents appear there. Initially, I thought that I was holding copies of these files and, wishing to save space on my hard drive, deleted all the files in my local documents folder. I then realised that all the files in my OneDrive documents folder had also gone. Luckily the Recycle bin saved the day.

If I look at the properties of any of the files in my local folder, the location is shown as OneDrive. I don't have this problem with music or pictures, it's just with documents. I know these forums are really for people with problems but I do like to try and understand things. So what's going on?

This may still work:

How to disable Windows 10 from using OneDrive as the default save location

Ask a Question