Being asked to set up OneDrive for file recovery options in case of a ransomware attack.

Reaction score
Just lately, every time I load up my computer, the Windows Defender icon in the notification area shows up with a black exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle

When I click on the Windows Defender icon, it brings up the Windows Defender Security Centre. On the, 'Virus & threat protection,' the same black exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle shows up again. Underneath that it says;

'Set up OneDrive for file recovery options in case of a ransomware attack.'

What am I supposed to do here? My OneDrive is working perfectly fine so how do I go about stopping this warning coming up every time I load up my computer?

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
Just lately, every time I load up my computer, the Windows Defender icon in the notification area shows up with a black exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle

When I click on the Windows Defender icon, it brings up the Windows Defender Security Centre. On the, 'Virus & threat protection,' the same black exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle shows up again. Underneath that it says;

'Set up OneDrive for file recovery options in case of a ransomware attack.'

What am I supposed to do here? My OneDrive is working perfectly fine so how do I go about stopping this warning coming up every time I load up my computer?

Thanks

HB
When you open Windows Defender from the Notification Area there should be a Dismiss button under the items one needs to make a decision on.

Reaction score
When I click on the Dismiss button, nothing happens straightaway. If I then come out of the Windows Defender Security Centre and then go back in, then the triangle has gone.

However, when I restart Windows again, the triangle is back again on the Windows Defender icon.

Does that mean I have to go through this ritual every time I load windows?

Isn't it trying to warn me of something?

HB

Reaction score
I have the same type of notification regarding setting up Windows Hello. You should be able to turn the notifications off, but I agree there is no reason to have a warning on something because you chose not to use that option.

I currently have the Ransomware protection turned off and have received no notifications for it.

Reaction score
I have Ransomware protection turned off also but I still get that warning triangle every time I load the computer up.

After a while, the warning triangle does go on its own and the usual green check mark then shows on Windows Defender. Perhaps it is nothing to worry about.

HB

Reaction score
No problems or notifications here. Ransomware is ON, why would you turn it OFF?

Reaction score
I dont use it, but isn't file recovery a new feature of One Drive for business7365?

Reaction score
No problems or notifications here. Ransomware is ON, why would you turn it OFF?

Because when I turned it on, I was getting a whole bunch of other problems. For a start, by turning it on, Internet Explorer would not show my favourites on the left- hand side where I usually have them. Instead, I had to add them as being protected before it would work as it did before. (I have never had to do this before).

By turning it on, I was getting bombarded with notifications that certain folders & files were being blocked as bad files & folders when they weren't. See example below.

s.jpg

Does that mean that every folder I want protected I must add it for Ransomware protection? How come I have never had to do this before? Is this a new item that has been added by an update?

Even with Ransomware turned on, I am still getting that black exclamation mark within a yellow warning triangle on Windows Defender every time the PC boots up. When I click on WD, I am getting this:

Security Centre.jpg

What should I do?

HB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you use One Drive? If so it appears it hasn't been set up.
I would run a manual Deep Full Scan. You could have some (One Drive) files that Defender hasn't scanned and the Exclamation warning is giving you a heads up. I would also perform a deep scan with ransomware enabled. Right now you have nothing to loose. Good Luck!

Reaction score
He did say his one drive is working well. But it may still need a little setting up. But with his last post, he seems to have some deeper problems than that.

Reaction score
Yes, I do use OneDrive as stated in my first post. My OneDrive is already set up and has always worked fine up until this point.

Today, I have a bigger problem now. For some reason, Microsoft Outlook will not open and I am totally knackered without that. When I try to open Outlook, I am getting a window that is telling me this:

"Microsoft Outlook

Something is wrong with one of your data files and Outlook needs to close. Outlook might be able to fix your file. Click OK to run the inbox repair tool."

I click OK then I get a window come up as shown below:
st.jpg

I click on start, then I get a window come up as shown below:

stt.jpg

Okay, I turned Ransomware off in WD then I managed to recover Microsoft Outlook after running through the same procedure as shown above.

I am still getting the yellow triangle on the Windows Defender icon every time the computer boots up.

Do you think it may be a good idea for me to stop OneDrive starting up when Windows starts up and see what happens then? Worst comes to worst, I may have to uninstall and reinstall OneDrive. What do you think? Any ideas? At the moment, it seems safer to have Rasomware turned off in WD.

Thanks

HB

Last edited:
Reaction score
It will do no harm to stop it. You can always restart at will. Easiest way is to go into the task manager then the start up tab and disable it. Then restart the computer.

Reaction score
Right, I took the bull by the horns. I have now uninstalled Microsoft OneDrive. When the computer loads up now, the yellow triangle has gone and the WD icon in the notification area shows with its normal green check mark. This is with Ransomware turned off in WD.

This now points to the culprit being OneDrive. I obviously need OneDrive, so I will see what happens when I reinstall it later.

Before that, I then put Ransomware on in WD and then rebooted the computer.

Everything loaded up as normal to start with and WD had its usual green check mark on it. No sign of the yellow triangle anymore.

However, I went into WD & 'Virus & threat protection.' Below Ransomware protection (which is now on remember), I had the notice 'No action needed.' I then clicked Ransomware protection (still on remember) and clicked on 'Protected folders.'

Protected folders

Windows system folders are protected by default. You can also add additional protected folders. Good to know.

I then click on a program that I use often and have done for many years. Let's use that as an example. The program is called 'Calibre.' When I click on Calibre to open it, I'm then getting a warning telling me that it is being blocked.

So, I go back to the main Ransomware protection window and this time click on 'Allow an app through Controlled folder access.' This then gives me the choice to Add an allowed app. If I then click on 'Calibre,' this is then added to the list of already allowed apps of which there are 5 at the moment. I had to put these 5 in so that they were not blocked. Adding Calibre as well, also allows me to use that app without any problems.

I can Add an allowed app at any time I want if Ransomware is switched on.

The problem is, like many people, I have many, many apps that I use and I have used without any problem for years. My question is, if I have Ransomware switched on, this will mean I will need to add every single app on my computer for it not to be blocked in case of Ransomware.

I have never had to do this before. Why now? If I have Ransomware switched off, then the problem does not arise.

This is all before I have reinstalled Microsoft OneDrive that I use and need.

Can anybody enlighten me on this situation please and what I should do?

In the meantime, I shall reinstall OneDrive and tell you what happens then and whether it brings back the yellow warning triangle problem.

Any comfort would be welcome :)

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
I have now put back Microsoft OneDrive. By doing this, the yellow warning sign came back. In WD where it said, 'Setup OneDrive,' I clicked on this and once I signed back into OneDrive, then the green check mark was back once more.

However, once I rebooted, the same scenario as I have described in my earlier posts have shown their ugly head again. The yellow warning sign is back and this is whether I have Ransomware on or off. So, I am back to square one.

Because of this, I have decided to take Norton's advice and run a deep full scan on WD with Ransomware enabled. This is going to take some time so after this, I shall run full scans on Malwarebytes & HitmanPro.

I'll see what comes up and keep you informed.

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
I have now undertaken 2 full scans with WD. 1 with Ransomware enabled & 1 with Ransomware disabled.

Both came back completely clean with 0 threats.

When the PC boots up now, I still get the yellow triangle warning sign on the WD icon. If I put my cursor on the icon, it is saying, 'Actions recommended.' If I ignore the yellow triangle warning sign and go about my business, it eventually changes to the normal green check mark of its own accord.

If I go into WD, it is recommending that I setup OneDrive in case of a Ransomware attack. Exactly what I was getting before. Note, it is only recommending these actions so I'm guessing they are not imperative.

Now, I have Ransomware disabled.

I wanted to come back on something that Norton said. He said that he had Ransomware enabled and on.

If this is the case, how come Norton that you are not being notified of apps that are being blocked? If I have Ransomware enabled, every app that I want to use, I am being told that it is being blocked and that I need to add it to my protected list. How come I am getting that and you are not?

This is why I have Ransomware disabled. It does make sense to have it on as you say but by doing that, I am getting the problems that I describe above.

Can anybody tell me if this is a new feature and why I am getting these problems with Ransomware on & enabled?

Thanks

HB

Ask a Question