Windows thinks the + key is being pressed

Reaction score
Hello, my Windows 10 laptop is having an issue. For some reason it thinks the "+" key is being pressed down, causing a beeping sound and prohibiting it from loading. It is not the keyboard, I removed it because it broke and my USB one I unplugged. It normally happens when I am using my computer and randomly happens. Mostly when I boot up my computer. And sometimes it takes me to boot manager. How can I fix this? This started happening yesterday.

Reaction score
Does the Notebook/Laptop have the Number Pad/10-key pad? Which + key is the problem? Since the onboard keyboard broke something else could have happened to the motherboard.

Reaction score
I removed the keyboard, it is not there. The USB keyboard has no issues. It also makes the touchpad not work when it starts to act up. Maybe a driver is out of date or something.

Reaction score
I have looked at the keys, they are not being pressed. When I take out the USB receiver it still does not stop.

Reaction score
Only 2 other things come to mind, one is to try entering the BIOS setup and see if there is a Disable setting for the keyboard [probably isn't] and the other, for the touchpad issue, is to obtain one of the third-party keyboard + touchpad devices. Downside is there is a keyboard Fn + Fx key useful for disabling the touchpad when a mouse is used but without the built-in keyboard that may not be possible except by the BIOS method. Some BIOSes [seen on older computers] had a setting to not seek the presence of a keyboard at bootup.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=usb+keyboard+plus+touchpad&t=hw&ia=products

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This started happening yesterday.
How long ago did you physically remove the keyboard?
causing a beeping sound and prohibiting it from loading
That sounds like it is detecting a keyboard error and halting on that error.
Sometimes there is a BIOS setting that you can adjust "Halt on" by changing that to "none".
Maybe a driver is out of date or something.
Probably not a driver if it is happening at boot as at that point it's most likely still in POST and waiting for a keyboard to be enumerate to allow for you to enter the BIOS or select a function such as the one time boot menu.

Not sure what circumstance might have caused you to physically remove the keyboard, but....
Have you examined the interface port for the keyboard ribbon cable to make sure that it is not damaged, where bent or loose pins might be causing your current problem?

You mention in your first post that it thinks the + key is being pressed.
IF you open Notepad do you see that it is producing the + sign in text repeatedly.
IF not then you might examine your "Sticky Keys" settings
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use

Ask a Question