Transparency is being applied ONLY on the taskbar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently (yesterday) upgraded my Asus Lap Top with the SSD and installed Win 10 from a USB stick with the installation file. (Lap Top came before with Win 8.1 and later I have upgraded it to Win 10, so now it is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account.)

Anyway, I have a problem, that a transparency "effect" is being applied only on the Taskbar, and not on the START menu or notification pane.

as from the att. one can see, that the taskbar is transparent, but the start menu - not.

Any ideas why is it so and how can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
Agnese

transparency.jpg

Reaction score
Don't know if it's the solution desired but can say that the Taskbar is Static, always there, while clicking the Start button shows Dynamically, click elsewhere and it goes away, really no practical need to make it transparent. All things in computing take resources, load into RAM/Random Access Memory. Static items are like pictures on the wall, not changing unless some other action occurs, while Dynamic things are always changing, screen always refreshing even if not noticed.

Reaction score
Thank you, Bighorn, for the reply. Well, I may agree with you with the explanation, what is more convenient and what is not, but I still wonder, WHY after reinstall I don't have this option (only partially). In the preview it is shown, as if it must be transparent :

transp.PNG

So I think it would be good to know, what is the reason of it. Drivers.. updates.. everything seems to be fine. Unless I should check smth. else...

Reaction score
You probably upgraded to Fall Creators update, and got the menu with less transparency, and with a lot more blur.
It is barely noticable now, mostly opaque menu. Microsoft calls it Acrylic,
or something look.
I doubt there is a registry fix for it.

On Windows 7, the transparency was a lot, along with a small amount of blur.
Just enough so desktop text behind menu, could not be read.

When Windows 10 came out, there was less transparency,
and the amount of blur area was bigger. Still ok looking.

With FallCU, blur is to max, transparency to minimum,
lets just call it 1886 london fog look.

Maybe the only way to get back to original Windows 10, or Windows7 look,
is to install Big Muscle Aero Glass http://www.glass8.eu/
Looks like there is only 64 bit installer at this time.

Also to tweak it more, you need to install Aero Glass Configrator 3.0
I got from http://virtualcustoms.net
If it's not available anymore there, try http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170384-aero-glass-cofigurator-for-windows-81/

Not sure if there is a way to have blur on taskbar.
Possibly try Classic Shell start menu. You might be able to configure it to have blur aero glass on taskbar, with the Classic Start menu turned off. Unfortunately I read the developer has stopped updating that software. It may be unstable with each new Windows 10 update.

Reaction score
What I see now in the IP Build 17074.1002 is Edge has a transparent Title bar and the right-click of the desktop menu no longer has the Next desktop background choice.

Reaction score
Clifford_cooley

Classic Shell is/was my best friend, when I got tired of looking at Windows 10 tile menu.
Long live Classic Shell.

Hi Bighorn
I'm on 170928-1534 standard download.
Looks like you have insider fast ring beta type. I would stay away from that type of install.
Windows 10 has enough bugs in the normal releases. There will be even more bugs with beta downloads.

I think the "Next desktop background" will only show up on the right click desktop context menu,
if you actually have a picture, or folder of pictures set up.
Go to the Background rectangle box, in Personalize. Which it might say "Solid color",
and select Picture, or Slideshow instead.
Then select your go to picture/folder.

Reaction score
Classic Shell is/was my best friend, when I got tired of looking at Windows 10 tile menu.
Mine as well. I only hope it still works for the next build. This way someone else would have time to look over the open-source files and hopefully pickup the project and keep it alive. If not I'm gonna be bitching something fierce come March.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn
I'm on 170928-1534 standard download.
Looks like you have insider fast ring beta type. I would stay away from that type of install.
Windows 10 has enough bugs in the normal releases. There will be even more bugs with beta downloads.
Actually, I have 2 IP computers [since back when Technical Preview came out] and 3 RTM versions running.

Ask a Question