Can the Homegroup or OneDrive folders be removed from 'This PC'?

Reaction score
OK, I've removed the 3D objects folder from 'This PC' per the article w/o a problem. Now I'd like to get rid of the OneDrive and Homegroup folders, if possible, the same way. Never use either of them-prefer Google Drive, and it looks like HG is just duplicating the network. Just wondering if it can be done with a similar registry hack. TIA

Reaction score
It's been some time since I used Home Group, I believe If you open Setting "Network Status you can leave the home group by unchecking Discovery and Printer Sharing. I used programs and options to uninstall "One Drive" Make sure there are no files stored in One Drive or it's folders and delete the empty folder.
It would be a good idea to create a restore point first. Better still, back up your important documents.

Reaction score
As Homegroup is now redundant in the latest releases of Windows 10, I would say it is safe to remove it.

Reaction score
The last time I checked, HG was still on my home computer. Guess that means that computer doesn't have the 1803 update yet. I just checked this-my 'traveling computer'-and HG is gone. Thanks Clint.

Reaction score
Yes, if you have issues with computers seeing each other

"There is a service you need to set to Automatic start: Function Discovery Resource Publication Right click the Start button and click on Run near the bottom of the menu that shows. Type services.msc in the Run box and press enter to open the Services List. Scroll down until you find the Function Discovery Resource Publication. Set it to Automatic. Then right click and start it. That PC will now show up"

Everything else is the same, just set up your shares and set up security for each share. Check that SMB 1.0 all three boxes are unchecked. Unless you have a very old computer/Device that still needs SMB 1.0

For on the road, I'm now using free TeamViewer I had to drop Go To My PC due to cost increases and 0ne drive just doesn't get it for me.

Last edited:

Ask a Question