SOLVED Windows 10 Claims It Created a Homegroup But I Cannot Find The Password

CAG

Reaction score
After numerous attempts at creating a homegroup password on my HP 8460p 64 bit Pro laptop, I adjusted the settings and was told that Windows created a password and that now all my devices can share the same network.
However, I cannot find the password!
I had a password for Windows 7, 64 bit Pro laptops and was able to share files with other devices and printers.
That password did not work on Windows 10 which is why I tried to create a new one and hence, the reason for this thread.
Can someone tell me how to do this?
Thank you in advance.
CAG

Reaction score
The homegroup , for the most part, only piggybacked the normal method of using the sharing options.
Your best method is to disable the option to use a password, and start over.
Open the Settings and then the "Network and Internet" feature.
Click into the "Sharing" options
Select (at the bottom) "All networks"
Right at the bottom, in Password protected sharing, Turn it OFF

P.S. Just came back with a thought. If you were, theoretically, able to find the options to create a homegroup, I suspect that you windows needs quite a bit of updating. The option does not exists in later builds.

Last edited:

CAG

Reaction score
Thank you sooo much for your excellent reply to my dilemma.
The Microsoft link you provided was the best answer I could find to answer the file and folder sharing problem I was having since installing Windows 10 on my computer.
CAG

CAG

Reaction score
The homegroup , for the most part, only piggybacked the normal method of using the sharing options.
Your best method is to disable the option to use a password, and start over.
Open the Settings and then the "Network and Internet" feature.
Click into the "Sharing" options
Select (at the bottom) "All networks"
Right at the bottom, in Password protected sharing, Turn it OFF

P.S. Just came back with a thought. If you were, theoretically, able to find the options to create a homegroup, I suspect that you windows needs quite a bit of updating. The option does not exists in later builds.

CAG

Reaction score
Thank you Clintlgm for your extremely helpful answer to my question regarding homegroups.
I see now that I was trying to do "the impossible" the old way", but that are other options available on Windows 10.
CAG

CAG

Reaction score
Thank you davehc for your clear and concise answer to my question regarding home groups in Windows 10.
It was very helpful to be able to understand "why" my way of doing things was not working!
CAG

Ask a Question