File Sharing (aka Homegroup)

Reaction score
I got crosswise of another member for hijacking his thread and I am sorry for that. That was not my intention. So I started this thread. I had to vent.

I expressed my frustration with W10 for having done away the Homegroup. I had one setup and had become quite dependent upon it. I have a wood shop and many of the files were "shared" between the two computers (my shop and my office). Personal files (financials, etc) remained on the office computer only.

With the advent of recent changes in W10, I lost that capability. It was pointed out to me here on this forum that I still have that capability by setting up files shares. I really did not lose the capability only the knowledge of how.

I have done that now, not without pain, but it is done. Now I have to figure out exactly what I did and how to back out some what..

I now find that everything I save (I think everything) ends up on OneDrive where it is visible on both computers and seems to be updating with every change I make.

In addition to that, data files that I have on my D: drive appear to be replicating on the other computer (file share). In the quest, I have gone too far but I no longer have my complaint with MS. I certainly do have file share.

Reaction score
I now find that everything I save (I think everything) ends up on OneDrive where it is visible on both computers and seems to be updating with every change I make.
OneDrive is online storage to save and access from multiple devices. It is a form of sharing. You can even share flagged files with public.

OneDrive is however not related to file sharing within local area network (aka: workgroups). If both OneDrive and Workgroups are sharing the same folders, it might appear they are related. But I assure you they are independent sharing methods.

Reaction score
It would appear then that I am saving far too much to OneDrive

and

I am sharing files that I do not intend to share. I have moved the shop computer into the room with the office computer so that I can more easily see what is happening on both ends of this link. I'll get on top of it eventually.

Reaction score
Yes, what you need to do it set up a Workgroup network P2P these have been around since Windows 2000 or before all most as long as I have been using computers. Homegroup sucked that's why they got rid of it. I think the video may help you get going
Somewhat you need to know from the last windows upgrade to 1803 and 1809 SMB 1.0 needs to be turned off. this is in the Program and Features add remove windows features.

Services.mcs run as admin and make sure" Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" both need to be running and set to start automatically. on all computers

You'll need exact same User Accounts on all computer. The Username and password have to be exactly the same. this took me about a week to figure out after the 1709 upgrade Clinton J Wright is not the same as Clinton J. Wright yep that period after the J stopped my network dead in it tracks after the 1709 upgrade MS just keeps making it harder for us to run internal networks

They don't have to be logged into but need to be on all computers.
that way you set up hour NTFS Permission and Security Permission to use all authorized users have full control.
All the rest is they same thing we have been using for the last 20 year or more a basic windows workgroup. Tutorials are all around the Internet I haven't watch the one I linked there all pretty much the same and Toms Hardware is a reliable group. Windows 10 has and continues to make the workgroup network a bit of pain in the butt. However, once you get set up it should only need tweaking after major windows upgrades and if you don't know what setting to check for. look in the Networking section of this or other forums someone will have figured it out. 1803 took me a couple of days to sort out 1809 had changes which took me about 10 minutes to sort out.

Ask a Question