Sharing files and folders on same PC

Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 accounts on my new windows 10 laptop however the 2nd account added later cannot see folders or files that I set up by the first user. All permissions and sharing has been opened up but still 2nd user cannot see the folders created by the first. Both are administrators etc etc. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you be a bit more specific.
What folder or folders have you configured in your first account to be accessible by the second user account.
Have you examined the NTFS Permissions (Security Tab) under the properties of that or those folders? Has the second account been granted (explicitly) the proper level of access (Full Control, Read, Write, etc.)?

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your reply. I set up the new user by name and created a password when I first turned the new laptop on. I then logged in to Microsoft and set up the email etc, from then the login changed from the original set up name and password to the Microsoft name and password. All good so far. I then imported from and external drive some photos and created 2 new folders in "this PC /Pictures. I then created a new user using windows email and password and went to view the imported folders created in this PC /Pictures but they aren't there. So I logged back in to the original and shared the folders by clicking on the 2nd users name on the "share" tab. I also went to advanced security and under the permissions tab gave everyone full control. Loging back in as the other user the files and folders in thisPC/ Pictures cannot be seen. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The "Pictures" folder under "This PC" is profile specific.
In other words depending on who is logged onto the computer the pictures folder will contain the images within his profile.
To see the contents of another user's picture folder you will need to browse to
C:\Users\TheOtherUserName\Pictures, and....
That is where you may need to adjust specific NTFS permissions under the security tab (not the sharing tab) of the properties of that folder if you end up ultimately getting an access denied message.

Reaction score
Hi Thanks, just tried al that and still no result. For your information and Im not sure if it has any effect but I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. When I look for C: the only C drive I can see is next to windows 8 see attached picture. I believe everything has correct approvals and authorisations so am puzzled. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    730.3 KB · Views: 564

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... that's you C drive alright, and....
In there you should find a USERS folder, and....
In that USERS folder you should find folders associated with USERNAMES (accounts) on the computer, and.....
Within the USERNAME folders you will find the profile items that are unique to each user... (Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures, etc.), and.....
If you right click one of those particular folder and choose properties and then select the Security Tab in the properties dialog box you will see the NTFS security permissions for users and groups who are allowed access locally to that folder.
You need to understand that "Sharing" that is the Sharing Tab permissions have absolutely nothing to do with local user accounts on a single machine being able to access one another's folders.
That is controlled explicitly by NTFS permissions under the security tab of the folder and or file properties.
Sharing as in permissions under the Sharing Tab is only a concern when accessing files from one computer to another across a network.

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't see NFTS security permissions or property dialogue box, please see attached.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    730.3 KB · Views: 597

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Likely because you are looking in your libraries folder.
Please browse to C;\User\YourUserName

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hi yes I have the same dialogue boxes as you have shown and everything is ticked for each user

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    759.1 KB · Views: 555

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So assuming that Dan, Nicola and Richard all have full control to the pictures folder as indicated....
What exactly is the problem when one of those users (Dan or Richard) browse to C:\Users\Nikki\Pictures
Do you get an error?

Reaction score
All sorted, i'll put short cuts on the desktop for ease of access. Thanks for your assistance much appreciated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Glad you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back with that information.

Ask a Question