All folders/files visible even with "Turn off file and printer sharing"

Reaction score
On my desktop, I have turned on Network Discovery, but Turned off file and printer sharing, and for extra measure, Turn on password protected sharing. But from my laptop, all my files on my desktop (C:\Users\MyName\ ...) are visible and acessible.

I have also tried right-clicking on the C:\Users\MyName folder and selecting "Stop sharing", but that does not help. Also tried the command line: net share C:\Users\MyName /delete to no avail.

The only way to prevent other computers from seeing the files is to turn off Network Discovery, but then I can't Share Streaming Media on my home devices (TV).

Thanks.

ps. On my laptop, I have Network Discovery turned off and Turned off file and printer sharing, and this works as expected.

Dell XPS 7800 desktop. Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible that you've cached the NetBIOS information
Try opening an elevated command prompt and typing
nbtstat -RR
hit enter
Also you might want to try disabling the two services
HomeGroup Listener
HomeGroup Provider
As well as the
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service

The fact that they are accessible would suggest that an identical user name and password is being used on both computers or at least present on both computers.

Reaction score
Thank you! It didn't ever occur to me that I was using the same user name/password on both computers. I changed this so now everything works as expected.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question