SOLVED files exist within empty folders

Reaction score
Greetings Members,
Thank you, in advance, for your time and willingness to share.
I apologize if this question has been asked and answered, but I cannot find a solution when searching the forums. I noticed that someone has asked similarly in the general forum, but never saw a solution.
So, I am moving files from a jump drive to a cloud-based storage location and I thought that I was ready to reformat the jump drive, but while Explorer shows that the remaining folders are empty, properties say that there are still remaining files. No attributes are hidden. Is there a way to view what may actually remain?

Respectfully,
Dave

Reaction score
There is always one folder that cannot be deleted and that is the "System Volume Information". If it shows in the properties some used space, that is normal as the file system needs some room to store it information.

Unless you are referring to something else??
How is your jump drive formatted?? NTFS. FAT32 or exFat??

You said, remaining folders?? If you delete the folders, do you still have files on the drive?
If so, what does it say precisely?

Reaction score
There is always one folder that cannot be deleted and that is the "System Volume Information". If it shows in the properties some used space, that is normal as the file system needs some room to store it information.

Unless you are referring to something else??
How is your jump drive formatted?? NTFS. FAT32 or exFat??

You said, remaining folders?? If you delete the folders, do you still have files on the drive?
If so, what does it say precisely?

Grizzly,
I do see the folder, "System Volume Information" and have not tried to remove it. However, the "remaining folders" are all of the folders which contained the files that were transferred from the jump drive. The jump drive's file system is a FAT32. I have not yet tried to delete the folders, so I do not know what the result would be. I wanted to be certain that all of my data was moved prior to reformatting the jump drive. So, after the "select all", then, "move" was performed, it surprised me that folders were left on the jump drive at all, much less, "empty folders" that still contained any files.
Now, this morning, upon restart of my laptop and reinserting the jump drive, Explorer displayed it differently. What remains is the original folders, but they contain data that is more like file fragments (documents that either cannot be opened or are viewed as ASCII symbols and thumbnail.db files), rather than any useful data that may not have transferred; nothing of consequence, it seems. So, I presume that the jump drive is ready to be reformatted. Nevertheless, I still do not understand why these "file and folder shadows" were left behind on the jump drive. My only guess would be that it was some parts of the files that could not be moved for some reason, which forced the computer to keep the folders. The confusion was a result of initially seeing, "This Folder Is Empty" and the properties saying that there was still data in it.
If you believe that there may be some reason that these folders may still contain some useful data, then I will act upon any suggestions you may have to recover it. Otherwise, upon review of the cloud based folder that I just created, I am pretty satisfied that what I need was transferred successfully.

-Dave

Reaction score
If you check the properties of each folder left behind and it shows with 0 bytes, I think it is safe to assume that the folder is really empty and the folder is just an entry in the FAT (File allocation table)...
The files that you may have seen left over are most likely system files that are needed to appropriately access the drive. I do not have any other explanation right now....

Ask a Question