No login after resetting (retaining existing files)

Reaction score
Hi Windows 10 Forum

CPU: Intel i7-3820 CPU @3.60GHz, 32GB DRAM
MB: ASUS P9 X79 Pro L2011 socket
HD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
PSU: 1200W Cooler Master Gold with X6 Fan in HAF X case
GC: AMD Radeon HD 6870 Graphics
LG DM2352D IPS TV HDMI Monitor
Bose Companion 5 External Speakers
Use: Mainly Office 2010, movies, photos and some CAD (no games or over-clocking!)

This is my hi-spec tower I had built for me in 2013 and I've had no end of trouble with it: Blue tooth not working, some USB2 and 3 sockets disconnecting and re-connecting erratically every few seconds, same with the HDMI monitor that does not integrate well with Windows, boot interrupts by Asus' POST saying the CPU Fan is not working which it is, WD My Book external drives seen in W7 but not in W10 and now, Adobe Acrobat DC Pro crashing after about 10 seconds of use. Most of these issues still remain to the same or lesser degree: ASUS' after sales service and 3 year warranty is useless but Adobe went through the full test procedures and concluded that I needed a "clean" re-install of Windows 10. I am almost paranoid about keeping everything up to date, especially drivers and I am suspicious of generic drivers unless the hardware manufacturer says its OK like with the DVD optical drive for example. I am an experienced user but this lot is way beyond me.

Anyway that's the background into why I elected to reset Windows only the day before yesterday after a big update. I am probably going to end up calling in a good IT Techy to deal with this lot for the first time ever since computing in 1984! (If I can find someone good enough in the GCC - I'm a Brit ex-pat.) So for now can we stick with the boot problem ....

From Windows 7 Update, the 10 Upgrade was seamless some months ago. But after clicking reset (keep my files option in Settings), and the process ran to the Welcome date page of rocks on the beach in shadow, Windows 10 will not proceed to the login page. Usually I just hit the spacebar but nothing. I have tried re-booting and re-setting but the same. Sometimes the MS plugged-in keyboard is active sometimes not. The MS plugged-in mouse is never active. Sometimes also the WiFi is connected but sometimes not. I have also tried cntl-alt-del when the keyboard is working but also nothing. No I don't have a boot-up disc - I never needed one all through MS-DOS, 95, XP and W7!

There's nothing wrong with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro: I downloaded the allowable 2nd installation to my new DELL Inspiron 17 laptop on W10 Home and it runs like a train. But on my hi-spec desktop, it crashes after about 10 seconds and Adobe have thoroughly tested it all.

So what do I do to get to the login page?

Many thanks all

Mark G

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.
Sometimes the MS plugged-in keyboard is active sometimes not. The MS plugged-in mouse is never active. Sometimes also the WiFi is connected but sometimes not. I have also tried cntl-alt-del when the keyboard is working but also nothing. No I don't have a boot-up disc - I never needed one all through MS-DOS, 95, XP and W7!
Sounds like your computer is practically unuseable and without a keyboard or mouse, I'm not sure how much we can accomplish.
Can we assume that "plugged in" means a USB cable connection and not a plugged in wireless dongle that supports the keyboard and mouse?
Adobe went through the full test procedures and concluded that I needed a "clean" re-install of Windows 10.
I assume that, that is not at the top of your list of things to do?
I don't have a boot-up disc
You're likely going to need one in order to access some of the advanced troubleshooting options, which may or may not help with your situation.
The installation ISO can be obtain here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Windows 10 from the top of the list (not single language version at bottom of list.
Pick your language and bit version correctly the ISO will contain both Home and Pro versions.
Once you have the ISO then....
Use ImgBurn from here http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to burn it to a DVD or Rufus from here to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create your installation media.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from there use Startup Settings to see if booting into Safe Mode provides any relief from the problem.

Reaction score
Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your computer is practically unuseable and without a keyboard or mouse, I'm not sure how much we can accomplish.
Can we assume that "plugged in" means a USB cable connection and not a plugged in wireless dongle that supports the keyboard and mouse?

I assume that, that is not at the top of your list of things to do?

You're likely going to need one in order to access some of the advanced troubleshooting options, which may or may not help with your situation.
The installation ISO can be obtain here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Windows 10 from the top of the list (not single language version at bottom of list.
Pick your language and bit version correctly the ISO will contain both Home and Pro versions.
Once you have the ISO then....
Use ImgBurn from here http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to burn it to a DVD or Rufus from here to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create your installation media.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from there use Startup Settings to see if booting into Safe Mode provides any relief from the problem.
Sorry Trouble - had to rush off to Kuwait, then to Lebanon with my new no problem DELL 17 Inspiron; now I'm back in Qatar. I am picking this up again for my almost useless high-end custom Desktop. Asus Forum suggested replacing the MB... got to get it booted up 1st. I'll be reverting back on progress on this W10 reset issue.

Ask a Question