Login Wont Work

Reaction score
ive had a computer that has worked for a while now and when i tried to log in this morning it would not work. usually you can slide up with you mouse or press keys and the box to type in your login information appears. when i do this i get the little loading circle for about half a second and then it sends me back to the page i just was at where it shows the time and a picture, i am using windows home by the way.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please provide as much information as possible about the problem computer.
Manufacturer, Model Number, a link to the manufacturer's page to your specific computer might be helpful.
AND
Which version of Windows 10 are you using.
Type winver into the run dialog box and use the snipping tool to provide an image of what you see like.....

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
im am not logged on, and it isnt allowing me to open the run box, how do you suggest i open it. also whenever i press anykey on the key board the login box tries ties to open but fail to open

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Boot from the installation media.
Use the Repair Your Computer link on the second page

RepairYourComputer.png

To get to your Advanced Troubleshooting options and use Startup Settings from there to boot the computer into Safe Mode.

Reaction score
when i hold down the shift key to get to the boot options enu the computer is unresponsive

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not completely sure what that actually means, but....
Whenever I hear a complaint about a computer not responding to keyboard input at boot, I assume one of two things, either.....
The keyboard is unique and requires special device drivers (which are not loaded at startup or generally in Safe Mode either)
OR
The computer is not actually being completely shutdown and is simply recovering from a power saving state such as sleep or hibernate.

Reaction score
i believe what you said about the sleep or hibernate may be correct, i usually use the computer daily but i was gone on a trip to mexico and when i left i used the power off button. i got back yesterday only to see that the computer was jacked up, any suggestions on what to do

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I suggested above.
Boot from the installation media.

To do so requires a shutdown or restart and then using the correct keyboard input to produce a one time boot menu screen that will allow the computer to boot to a specific device of your choosing.

Another less elegant option of getting into the Windows RE advanced trouble shooting options to boot into safe mode, is …..
After holding down the power button until all lights and fans are off then use the same power button to turn it back on and when you see the circling dots turn it off again using the power button.
It may take more than one try, sometimes as many as three, but.....
At some point you will see "attempting automatic repair" text at the bottom of the screen. From there you should be offered your troubleshooting options, and from there you should see Startup settings, which should allow you to boot the system into safe mode.

Reaction score
well i did get it to reset but it didnt work, however i found a way to the boot menu finally, it says to select a boot device these are the devises to choose from
SATA:3M-ST2000DL003-9VT166
D/DVD:4S-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24N
USB:Generic USB SD Reader
USB Generic USB CF Reader
USB Generic USB xD/SM Reader1.0
USB Generic USB MS Reader

i dont necesarily know what to choose so could you help me around here

Reaction score
well i did get it to reset but it didnt work, however i found a way to the boot menu finally, it says to select a boot device these are the devises to choose from
SATA:3M-ST2000DL003-9VT166
D/DVD:4S-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24N
USB:Generic USB SD Reader
USB Generic USB CF Reader
USB Generic USB xD/SM Reader1.0
USB Generic USB MS Reader

i dont necesarily know what to choose so could you help me around here

i am using version 10.0.17134.1

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it says to select a boot device
Well under normal circumstances that would be the Seagate drive at the top of that list.
However you want to boot to the installation media and that would either be the DVD if you had installation media on an optical disc
OR
A USB thumbdrive which I do not see listed so that probably means you don't have one or don't have it inserted into the machine.
i am using version 10.0.17134.1
That would be something you would probably definitely want to upgrade but you'll need a bootable system in order to do that.
well i did get it to reset but it didnt work
I do not understand what that means. I had only suggested previously that you use advanced troubleshooting options to select Startup Settings, and then use that to boot into safe mode.

Reaction score
We still need information on the computer. Is it a store bought? If so what brand and model number? Or is the computer a home built? If it is a store bought brand name then you probably have a recovery partition on the hard drive. Give us some information that has been requested and we can help you further.

Ask a Question