Connecting PC by cable for file tranfer.

Reaction score
Although moving files between PCs via USB stick is quite simple and easy to do, I wonder whether a direct USB cable connection between PCs would have some merit. I have experience of doing that through lap-link (PC-Linq) between Win98E and WinXP. Its driver/software is of 2006, and might not be suitable for 'now', but there is a post on the web that claims it works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the compatibility adjustment is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter which came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure the fault could be in the leads, the USB ports, as well as in the software. I have not found an update to the 2006 software. I wonder if there is any authoritative statement out there about my ambition.

I read that file-transfer can be done through ethernet cable, and wonder if the two PCs are each connected by ethernet to the same modem for their internet - if that constitutes an ethernet connection between the PCs that can be exploited.

Reaction score
Although moving files between PCs via USB stick is quite simple and easy to do, I wonder whether a direct USB cable connection between PCs would have some merit. I have experience of doing that through lap-link (PC-Linq) between Win98E and WinXP. Its driver/software is of 2006, and might not be suitable for 'now', but there is a post on the web that claims it works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the compatibility adjustment is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter wich came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure the fault could be in the leads, the USB ports as well as in the software. I have not found an update to the 2006 software. I wonder if there is any authoritative statement out there about my ambition.

I read that file-transfer can be done through Ethernet cable, and wonder if the two PCs are each connected by ethernet to the same modem for their internet - if that constitutes an ethernet connection between the PCs that can be exploited.

Ask a Question