SOLVED Connecting Printer to Windows 10

Reaction score
I've just reinstalled Windows 10 on a friends Dell Desktop computer. Everything went well until I tried to connect their HP all in one 3431 Printer. I downloaded the complete file I got from HP - by using the serial number off the printer so I know I got the right file - and installed it giving me the latest drivers and software needed. It showed up as an installed printer but when I tried to do a test page in Notepad it didn't list the printer as an option. I've rebooted and rebooted both many times by completely disconnecting the CPU power cord and printer power cord and reinstalled the printer software and tried different USB ports on the computer, although they all work for the mouse and keyboard they didn't work for the printer. I also deleted the device driver in Device Manager and made sure there were no others before reinstalling the HP printer software. And Windows 10 is completely up to date with updates including the 1709. CPU is an older one with no WiFi.

I'm lost. The printer was working before I did a complete reinstall and the computer was using Windows 10 before so I know it works with this desktop and Windows 10.

I'm at a loss. The only other thing I haven't tried is replacing the printer cable. Not sure why it would be bad now and not a couple days ago, but will find that out tonight when we change the cable. Other than that, any suggestions as to what I can try would be appreciated. I'm at the end of my knowledge.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've just reinstalled Windows 10 on a friends Dell Desktop computer.
Did you install all the Dell drivers for that PC.

I also deleted the device driver in Device Manager and made sure there were no others before reinstalling the HP printer software.
That statement caught my eye. You need to uninstall the whole thing from the "uninstall programs" list....not just the driver.

This is what I would do: First reboot again and let PC completely boot up before using it (at least 5 or more minutes). The I would go to the "uninstall programs" list, (I prefer to access this through control panel) and then uninstall the HP printer that way. Next, I would reboot. Next, I would grab new copy of the HP software/driver package. Then install the driver/software package and then use HP print test page when it asks if you want to do so to print a test page.

Reaction score

That statement caught my eye. You need to uninstall the whole thing from the "uninstall programs" list....not just the driver.

This is what I would do: First reboot again and let PC completely boot up before using it (at least 5 or more minutes). The I would go to the "uninstall programs" list, (I prefer to access this through control panel) and then uninstall the HP printer that way. Next, I would reboot. Next, I would grab new copy of the HP software/driver package. Then install the driver/software package and then use HP print test page when it asks if you want to do so to print a test page.

I didn't think of the Dell drivers. I also never got a print page from the printer. I always uninstall programs from Control Panel and sometimes I even use regedit to get rid of it all in the registry. We are trying to find a time when I can go over there again and I will try everything and let you know. May be tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Reaction score

Dell says the BIOS needs to be updated. It lets me download the file and then tells me it has stopped and won't go any further.

Reaction score

When I plug in the USB cord - I've used two different ones - It goes through the motion and then stops and says I need to connect the USB cord. It sees it and then it doesn't. I've used every port - ones that are working with other USB connections like an external hub and wireless keyboard/mouse dongle - and some work and some don't. I get no where with the ones that work. I'm really thinking it has something to do with the 1709 update. Before the update the printer was working on this computer under 1703. I went through hell with my laptop when I upgraded and had to reinstall it completely 4 times before I got everything to work. Do you think reinstalling the Dell is worth trying at this point? As for the BIOS, I did the windows part of that article you sent but as I said it stopped and said it couldn't finish. Not in those words but that's what it meant and the only option I had was to click finish.

Reaction score
Also, when I did the recover on the Dell and told it to wipe everything out - not to keep any files - it didn't do that. I'm finding files on it that date back to August. :-(

Reaction score
Typically, when you install drivers from the manufacturer, you leave the device unplugged until the software tells you to connect it.

Ben

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Also, when I did the recover on the Dell and told it to wipe everything out - not to keep any files - it didn't do that. I'm finding files on it that date back to August. :-(
I think your reset didn't reset correctly. I would do it again.

Reaction score
Well, I was right! After all the messing around with it and getting nowhere I took the machine back to the Spring update - 1703 - and the printer installed without a hitch.

So, the problem lies somewhere with HP, Dell and Microsoft 1709.

How do I make sure the machine doesn't get upgraded to 1709 until I get a fix for the problem? We use to be able to just click on an update and tell it not to download. Changing to metered connection only works if 1709 isn't already cued to download.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Never mind.... the machine updated to 1709 before I could do anything to stop it. However, this time the printer is in the listing but won't let me use it. Sigh... guess I'll have to start from scratch again. I've never had this much trouble with a Windows (insert version) upgrade and I've been using Windows since 3.1. :)

I've been using recover to reinstall. I have the ISO on a disk but it just won't let me use it. Never did get the BIOS updated either. Windows seems to be missing some key files like gpedit.msc and others.

Reaction score
Find the printer in Device Manager, right-click and see if "Roll back to previous driver" is available.

Ben

Reaction score
Well, it's all over. I took the ISO file, and after messing around with the machine, I finally got the ISO file working and reinstalled the machine once again. This time I had the printer turned on when it started the actual setup and everything is working the way it's suppose to, no separate printer install needed. Never did get the BIOS updated though.

Never in my life have I had so much trouble with Microsoft Windows (insert version). I believe, in hind site, that upgrading these machines from Windows 7 or 8 like we did, was a mistake. All the machines that come to me have problems of some sort and all of them have had to be completely reinstalled from an ISO file Recovery has not worked yet. This last update, 1709, has been a nightmare.

I had one that was working on Windows 10 just fine and one day he started it up and only could see Windows 7. I could not find one thing on that machine that hinted that 10 had ever been on it..... not one, yet just a week before I had been on his machine using Windows 10!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I'm finally all set. Only took 10 days on and off to get to this point. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I believe, in hind site, that upgrading these machines from Windows 7 or 8 like we did, was a mistake.
You're definitely not alone in that thought. I always loved this quote as it applies to just about anything....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. And with that, that is exactly why I always do a clean install instead of a inhouse/inplace OS upgrade.

This time I had the printer turned on when it started the actual setup and everything is working the way it's suppose to, no separate printer install needed.
This might cause you some issues later on down the road. As all windows 10 did was find a driver for that printer to get the printer to work. Which means that some software will be needed along with a few other drivers for the rest of the AIO printer to work properly.

Bottom line: At least you got it working.

Reaction score
I tried to do the reinstall in the beginning using the ISO but had trouble getting it started so I tried the built in recovery. When that didn't work I went back to my first instinct and with some tinkering I finally got the machine to recognize the DVD drive/ISO file.

As for the printer - I did install the full file I got from HP. Without it, the printer would do nothing more than print and it is an all-in-one. I was just so excited that it was recognized right off the bat and at least printed just fine. :)

FYI, I'm just a person who has tinkered with computers since 1985, built a couple desktops and done a lot of problem solving over the years. I do it for free and for fun for seniors in the park.... keeps my mind active. 10 days is stretching the 'fun' part though. lol Thank goodness for people of knowledge, like you!

Thanks for everything. :)

Ask a Question