Connecting laptop to a network printer

Reaction score
Yesterday I downloaded Windows 10 on my wife's laptop and she immediately lost access to my Brother MFC-8500 printer which she was previously accessing though a wireless network and a router. The Brother is hardwired to the desktop, which was also upgraded to Windows 10, with a USB cord and is listed under printers on the desktop as "Brother MFC-8500 USB." Could you give me the procedure and the syntax for making this printer accessible once again to the laptop? If the syntax requires the desktop's IP address, could you tell me how to find it because the tutorials on the Web still talk about the Control Panel which seems to have been replaced with "Settings."

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Control panel is still there right click on start.

Is file and printer sharing turned on in W10. I prssume it was before.

Reaction score
I am not the networking expert here but can she see the desktop system on her Explorer network listing? Has the printer been shared on the Desktop to allow other users to see it?

You might try opening the Settings window. Go to the Devices section and see if you can add the printer there.

Just for a possibility, are either of you using a PIN to log on to your systems?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Brother is hardwired to the desktop, which was also upgraded to Windows 10, with a USB cord and is listed under printers on the desktop as "Brother MFC-8500 USB.
As mentioned above the network resource to which the printer is attached must be configured to support file and printer sharing.
You may need to re-share the printer on the host computer.
After that it should be a simple matter of browsing your network, accessing the host computer, right click the printer share and attach or connect ( I don't remember the wording anymore as my printers are all wireless network printers now), there is no particular syntax required if you do it that way.
If that doesn't work, maybe post back with any specific error messages you might receive in attempting to do it that way.

Ask a Question