Connecting to my external hard drive

Reaction score
I have an iMicro 3.5" SATA HDD External Enclosure that I had been using with my iMac. Now I'm on a PC, and I'd like to connect the external to my PC. right now it's connected through USB, and turned on (the green light shows). However, I can't find it anywhere on my PC. I've tried switching things off and on and rebooting but no joy. What should I do next.

Reaction score
Try another USB port if you have one. There may be a compatibity issue.
But, if you have been using it on a Imac, I presume you have reformatted it as a Microsoft device?

Reaction score
The issue may be the formatting of the drive, Windows has difficulty with what the iMac [or any Mac] uses. If Windows Disk Management can't see the drive it can't assign a drive letter and without that File Explorer can't see the drive. Some External drives can be found that are compatible with both Windows and Mac but it'll be on the packaging or advertisement. I use a Linux Mint machine to check drives, salvage data, clean and format or reformat to a different type. The included program GPARTED can work with many formats and is also available as a LiveCD .iso file to create a bootable disc.

Almost forgot, some versions of the Mac OS can read NTFS-formatted drives but need additional software for doing more than that, never found a good one before my MacBook Pro died.

Ask a Question