Copying a url from a word document gives a search engine result and doesn't go directly to the url page.

Reaction score
Hi, I have copied url links from the address bar into a word document, but when I copy the url from the document, I get a search engine result page that includes the website I want in the lists, but it doesn't take me directly into the page that I want, and that was on the screen when I copied the link.

The problem is because I numbered the list. If I copy from the numbered list, I get the problem, but if I backspace and remove the number, the url takes me directly to the page that I want.

I want the urls in a numbered list as I'm using superscript numbering that references the url to other items in the document.

I have tried replacing the superscript style numbering with a normal number format, but I get the same problem. When I copy from the document it always manages to include the number, even though the number isn't highlighted with the rest of the url, and when I notice that the number is included, I backspace in the address bar to delete it and press return to get the same result: a serach engine list.

I imagine that there is a simple answer to this problem, but it's been elusive.

Reaction score
In a word processor one can create a table of 2 columns with the left containing that number and the right column containing only the URL, selecting the URL only and pasting in the Address box in the browser should work.

Could also create a spreadsheet which will show a URL as clickable such as this Excel example:

1691377060240.png

An issue with documents other than a plain text/.txt file is there can be hidden formatting that can screw up creating files for running a computer such as .bat/Batch or .exe/Executable files for running programs and creating barebones Web pages/.htm/.html files. A typical plain text editor is Notepad, included with Windows, at least since I got my first Windows computer in '92 with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1.

EDIT: forgot to mention checking if the word processor has a setting for creating a clickable link for the URL. Excel does as the screen clip shows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I have copied url links from the address bar into a word document, but when I copy the url from the document, I get a search engine result page that includes the website I want in the lists, but it doesn't take me directly into the page that I want, and that was on the screen when I copied the link.

The problem is because I numbered the list. If I copy from the numbered list, I get the problem, but if I backspace and remove the number, the url takes me directly to the page that I want.

I want the urls in a numbered list as I'm using superscript numbering that references the url to other items in the document.

I have tried replacing the superscript style numbering with a normal number format, but I get the same problem. When I copy from the document it always manages to include the number, even though the number isn't highlighted with the rest of the url, and when I notice that the number is included, I backspace in the address bar to delete it and press return to get the same result: a serach engine list.

I imagine that there is a simple answer to this problem, but it's been elusive.
The table idea is worth remembereing. I discovered that a space worked as well because the problem was caused by the number. When you have a list number in word, you'll notice that there are two small grey field rectangles over the number when you select it. One is horizontal, and the other is verticle. The horizontal rectangle connects to the first letter following it, so when you copy, it includes the number, and for an unknown reason, when you paste into the address bar and delete the number, it affects the the search, as explained in the question, I got the search results, and not the website. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Ask a Question