Problem copying files in Windows 10

Reaction score
Problem copying files in Windows 10. Not sure what the terminology is, so I can't do a Google search. Since removing a few irritating things like quick access from file explorer, I can't move files to the left pane anymore, I get a no entry symbol?

Reaction score
Quick Access and Libraries are mostly just shortcuts to the actual folders of the same name in C:\Users\USERNAME\. Expand that folder to see the list and try moving or copying as desired.

Reaction score
Quick Access and Libraries are mostly just shortcuts to the actual folders of the same name in C:\Users\USERNAME\. Expand that folder to see the list and try moving or copying as desired.

I'm not having a problem copying to specific folder. I cannot copy to ANY folder in the left pane! for example I go to Videos\X\Y and try to copy from Y to X and I get the arrow mouse cursor with the red zero no entry sign next to it.

Reaction score
Yes, only the left panel is broken. And only since I changed the registry to remove various unused links like quick access.

The trouble is I don't want to put all those things back, and it would be difficult to remember what I changed!

Reaction score
I do not use copy if i have a lot of file to copy to or move. I simply use browser and open both folders side by side then drag from 1 to the other. Never a issue that way.
1578349974132.png

Reaction score
That seems a long winded way to do it, it reminds me of using those bloody Apple Macs that didn't have folder lists. I just press Windows E on the keyboard and get ONE file explorer. Folder list on the left, files on the right. I drag things from the list on the right into the folder on the left list. But this stopped working!

explorer.jpg

Reaction score
it is rather fast . try it. for me it is faster then copy to and much faster than copy a string and then paste.

Reaction score
I don't know what "copy to" is, I do the same as you, drag stuff from one place to another. But I use the folder list, not two windows.

Reaction score
copyto or moveto is a reg edit hack.. from Beta test days back in 2007 and folders is the best i only showed drives.

Reaction score
I'm basically doing the same as you, dragging from one place to the other, but I use two panes of one window instead of opening two windows.

Anyway, my problem is the left pane is now broken :-(

Reaction score
what have you tried to fix. repair install is usually very fast. and many times a CLEAN check Health will fix lots of stuff and SFC /scannow fixes lots of stuff.
you might also try the other way... and see if that works...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sure I could fix it by reversing what I did yesterday (to remove unnecessary junk like quick access). But the question is do I want to. If I could find out what's stopping this working, I could sort that instead and keep the other things hidden (which should work as I saw how to do it in forums and nobody else said there were side effects). It's like I've been given a pill that sorts an illness but it gives me a side effect.

Reaction score
As you know, there are some things that MS has added to OS that if you change or modify or delete causes other issues.. so yes , it depends on what you want to do.. Yep it is 100% up to you... i wish you the best.

Reaction score
I found the answer in the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10.

Apparently the registry entry (in which you can change the hex value) changes more than one thing. The way I changed it at first was after reading instructions on a webpage where the author had not considered other ramifications. I've now got a setting that works for both things:

Which means inspecting for the "value that breaks stuff"
and changing to the alternate "faded icon" appearance value.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:a0600000

becomes

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:00088000

Reaction score
I still use my fixit script and recommened by MS with sfc/scannow
but glad you found a way to fix

Ask a Question