Video problems in Facebook and Skype

Reaction score
Not quite sure how to post this in short form. Let me try it this way. If I try and do a video call on my system with someone else, they can see me but I cannot see them. I can see mine own picture down in a little block on the right hand corner but that's it. I'm using Google Chrome.
If I do it (Facebook Video) through Edge, I can see their picture but cannot hear them. The same goes for Skype. I've got Video turned on in Windows 10 and the microphone turned on. I've got three computers here and each one has the same problem.
Of course, a simple fix in a one two three steps would be nice but I find absolutely no help by googling Facebook. Any ideas as to what this might be giving me grief?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lawrence,

The issue may not be on your end at all.

When you are Skyping there is an option in Skype to disable video content:
  • Whoever you are trying to connect with, get them to right-click on their Skype screen and make sure that Hide myself or Stop my video are not checked.
  • Also, they need to have the latest DirectX installed.
  • Finally, make sure they are using the most current build of Skype, as older versions did have a bug that prevented video content streaming to the User they were connected to, but Microsoft fixed that ages ago.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! What I've tried here, is using two of our own computers. If I connect to one, I cannot see the other recepient but they can see me and here me. But I cannot see them. If they on the other hand connect with me, they cannot see me while I can see them but not hear them.
I've tried the 'hide myself' and 'stop my video' and made sure they're not checked (shut off) and yet nothing seems to work. We've never had problems before but it's been a while since we've used it and now this problem. I've updated Skype, installed a Facebook plugin and still nothing works.
I've checked the DirectX and it tells me I've the latest plus it says no problems found as to Video. Thus, I'm stumped and I can find nothing that is creating the problem. But that there is a problem is a given.
If you've any further ideas, let me know. Thanks!

Reaction score
I want to thank the many for coming in on this question of late. The replies are so many and unhelpful, I'll never get through them all. Strange indeed!

Reaction score
Lawrence~

I, as well, had this problem for the LONGEST TIME .... and never was able to solve it ... I, also , went thru the same trouble shooting that you did and as you were advised by Regedit32....

Finally, what I and many of my Long distance (overseas and stateside) friends did was switched from Skype and FB video to Discord .. and have been happy ever since ..

YES granted its 'made by gamers for gamers'(direct quote from their site ) to do gaming and chat ... BUT it works quite well as an alternative for just casual Voice/Vid Chat service ..

There are SOME .. very negligible glitches from time to time .. but that is generally due to what is being used (phone, laptop or desktop) by the other person or persons I happen to be talking to at the time or where they happen to be located (state side or overseas) and for the most part a quick restart of the chat .. or a system reboot fixes the issue .. and we can continue on with our chat

Might want to give it a shot .. if for no other reason but to rule out any other issues with the other Voice/Vid Chat services you are having a issue with. Essentially, if you still have the SAME issues when using Discord and a chat /program restart or a system reboot doesn't solve it .. than there is something wrong with your or the other persons systems configurations for the chat service.

***Disclaimer ..... I do not work nor represent Discord in any way shape or form other than a regular user that has been using it for many years (happily :) )*****

Best of Luck~
LoneWolf

Reaction score
Finally a good reply! The strange thing is, we've used Skype & Facebook Video so many times before then suddenly both went awry. As far as I can tell, the System Settings are correct and nothing was changed. I've tried two other computers here and I have the same problem with them all.
Thanks for pointing out Discord. When I get to it, I'll give it a whirl.

Ask a Question