No video in safe mode

Reaction score
After a number of improper shutdowns caused by weather related power outages I wanted to boot my pc in safe mode to run chkdsk on all my hard drives. However, when I try to do this the screen goes black, my monitor displays the message "unsupported resolution", then it goes black again, with apparent drive activity taking place, until I eventually hold the power button in for 10 seconds and reboot it in normal mode. Safe mode used to work, but I think a recent update screwed it up. I'm not sure which one because I haven't tried using safe mode for some time.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Version 1809
OS build 17763.316

Reaction score
Is it by chance an hdtv? They sometimes don't support anything but it's native resolution. If so you may need to plug it in to a proper monitor to boot to safe mode. I've had a similar issue with hdtv's in the past.

Reaction score
Is it by chance an hdtv? They sometimes don't support anything but it's native resolution. If so you may need to plug it in to a proper monitor to boot to safe mode. I've had a similar issue with hdtv's in the past.
Yes, via a VGA connector. Actually, there are two monitors connected to the graphics card, one by VGA and one by DVI. The VGA is a newer model smart tv, and it displays the "unsupported resolution" message when trying to use safe mode. The DVI connected monitor is older and apparently doesn't see the computer at all when in safe mode because it goes into power saver mode. Both monitors correctly show the BIOS/POST messages.

The part that's frustrating is that it worked fine before, with the same monitors. I suspect it's something to do with the upgrade to Win10 1809. As with previous version upgrades, my boot menu was wiped out and I had to recreate it using the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/245175/how-to-add-safe-mode-to-the-windows-8-and-10-boot-menu/

Reaction score
A large issue with Safe Mode is that many drivers/software aren't loaded and things won't work as they do in Normal Mode. Safe Mode is more or less a diagnostic feature.

Reaction score
I just tried to run my older PC on my hdtv via vga and all I get is unsupported format. I didn't get that with earlier builds. Works with hdmi fine. Not sure what's changed

Ask a Question