Cortana has left me.

Reaction score
Cortana has disappeared. When I click on the icon, I get a black panel where she used to reside. This either happened with the last update or perhaps when the Windows online support took control of my computer and screwed everything up. (I don't use it very often.) Anyone have any ideas how to restore Cortana?

Reaction score
Before I reply to your issue............................

Let this be a warning to everyone who happens to read this thread.

NEVER, NEVER allow anyone to gain access to your computer. NOT even Microsoft.
To be blunt. The so-called Help Desk is not exactly staffed by experts.

As to the Cortana :
What happens if you left click at the Start button > left side, click All apps > under alphabet C, click Cortana.
Does Cortana open up ?

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I was successfull in reconnecting to the internet by using the restore function. restored the computer to two days before Windows 10 update, that did it. I have been working for the last couple of hours on the internet and found your response in my Microsoft mailbox, had to come to the Forum to reply. I am well pleased after struggling for about 10 days. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my request and to respond. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Bif

Reaction score
Cortana has disappeared. When I click on the icon, I get a black panel where she used to reside. This either happened with the last update or perhaps when the Windows online support took control of my computer and screwed everything up. (I don't use it very often.) Anyone have any ideas how to restore Cortana?
Cortana and I have had a tumultuous relationship,couldn't take her anywhere without her telling me to do this and telling me to do that...always suggesting what restaurant we go to or what the damn temperature it is outside..I got tired of her and threatened to turn her off.She said I should have never attempted to turn her on in the first place,and then gave me the temperature...
we're done!
(to be honest,I never had any desire to ever use "Cortana" and let MS gather even more private info)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Before I reply to your issue............................

Let this be a warning to everyone who happens to read this thread.

NEVER, NEVER allow anyone to gain access to your computer. NOT even Microsoft.
To be blunt. The so-called Help Desk is not exactly staffed by experts.

As to the Cortana :
What happens if you left click at the Start button > left side, click All apps > under alphabet C, click Cortana.
Does Cortana open up ?
When I click Cortana, a blank rectangle opens on the left side of the screen where Cortana used to be. Incidentally, Search still works when I left click the Start button, and returns results both in the computer and on the web.

Reaction score
When I click Cortana, a blank rectangle opens on the left side of the screen where Cortana used to be. Incidentally, Search still works when I left click the Start button, and returns results both in the computer and on the web.
You should take Davids advice and tell us what happens.

Reaction score

Have you tried what I suggested from my first reply ?
Namely this..............................

As to the Cortana :
Does Cortana open up ?

Reaction score
Have you tried what I suggested from my first reply ?
Namely this..............................

As to the Cortana :
Does Cortana open up ?
Yes, that is how I tried to open Cortana when I got the blank rectangle. I later tried to System Restore back to a date before the last Windows Update. It also failed. For some reason, System Restore goes through all the steps and then tells me it has failed. This has happened twice now.

Reaction score
The following steps are to run Reset option...............
RIGHT click at the Start button > click "Shut down or sign out" > a popup box will appear, Restart is one of the options.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > wait > click Troubleshoot > click Reset this PC > follow the prompts from then on.

Another way to go to Reset is................
Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > Reset this PC............

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, but I'll live without Cortana rather than risk a reset at this time, Too many people are reporting reset problems. If something more serious happens, I'll give it a shot.

Reaction score
I just noticed that my Location setting is in the Off position and is greyed out. I can't turn it on. This is probably why Cortana doesn't work. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?

(SETTINGS/PRIVACY/LOCATION/CHANGE)

Reaction score
I believe you used the wrong way in trying to enable Cortana.
May I ask which country you are residing in ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
United States. The computer also shows the U.S. as my location and American English as my language. In the Action Center, the 'location' box is greyed out and does not function. I think the Microsoft technician disabled it during the disastrous chat session a couple of weeks ago, and I can't find a way to turn it back on. This has also prevented all other apps from using my location.

Reaction score
Cortana has returned!
I ran a System Restore back to October 20. I had tried this previously, but it failed to complete for some unknown reason. This time it worked, and then reinstalled Updates KB3106932, 3105210, and 3106932. After the smoke cleared, Cortana came on. I asked her where she had been for the past two weeks, but she wouldn't tell me. The location services are also working again.

Reaction score
She's gone again! Today I found that my Quicken program file was corrupted and tried to re-install it from a disc. It wouldn't install. I undid my System Restore from yesterday (rolled back my rollback). The software installed with no problem, but, of course Cortana and location services are gone. I guess you can't have everything with Windows 10.

Ask a Question