SOLVED Cortana SearchUI.exe downloading

Reaction score
For the past 3 days my daily data has increased 2GB+ each day for unknown reasons. My surfing habits remain unchanged. Today I noticed some unusual activity on my modem when the PC was (not in use) idle. I opened task manager an all the activity was from cortana and searchUI.exe. Cortana was both sending and receiving data. Restarted the PC and the process started all over again immediately. When it completed whatever, (wasn't a MS update) it consumed 1.1 GB of data.

Sorry for the font. I'm using my Win 7 Laptop until I can find out what's going on with cortana...
Anyone got any ideas what may be going on? I'm running Win 10 Pro, all recent updates installed, local account. BTW I checked update history, nothing since Feb. 22 Flash player I believe. Checked Restore and the activity whatever it was created an automatic Restore point.

Reaction score
After some file exploring I found what was consuming large amounts of data.
Using explorer I found recent activity in the folder Windows > Software Distribution Folder Feb.26. MS downloads (21)
Microsoft Wi-Fi
3D Builder
App connector
Microsoft Phone Companion
Feedback Hub
Microsoft Sticky Notes
Windows Calculator
Paid Wi-Fi & Cellular
Windows Voice Recorder
Microsoft Tips
App Installer
Windows Alarms & Clock
MSN Weather
Windows Camera
Microsoft Solitaire Collection
Microsoft Photos
Windows Maps
Store
Candy Crush Soda
Skype Preview
Microsoft People
Somehow, the check box for "Give me updates for other MS products when I update Windows must have inadvertently got checked, in settings.> Update and Security >Advanced. I just wish MS would show the available updates before downloading. I really have no use for most if not all the apps. I'm just a plain, old meat and potatoes guy.
Wishful thinking, these are the good old days :(

Ask a Question