Credentials

Reaction score
Is there any place where you keep track of all my questions? I may have asked about this before but if I did I can't remember the answer. I have one desktop computer that is constantly asking me for my credentials if I try to access it from one of the laptops. Neither of my laptops do this. I have no passwords on any of my computers. They are networked through a home group but the laptops can't access the desktop ( where the printer is) without entering credentials. Are credentials the same as passwords? I don't feel the need to protect these computers as I am the only occupant of my home and the only user. If this question was asked and answered already I apologize. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are credentials the same as passwords?
Yes, more or less. Credentials are a combination of a User Account and a Password. Sometimes involving the machine name as in
YourComputerName\YourUserName (where YourComputerName is the name of the computer you are attempting to access and YourUserName is a User Name on that computer)
Password (where Password is the Password for that User Account on that Computer Name

Note: Microsoft doesn't like blank or null passwords when it comes to networking.
Do yourself a favor and add a password to the user accounts on all computers involved
Keep it simple, it can actually be the same password for all accounts.
Then when you are prompted for "credentials" check the box that says "remember" and you should be prompted again.

Additionally you should be able to use this https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/log-in-to-windows-10-automatically.19/
So you don't even have to supply local credentials to log in at the console.

Ask a Question