Cumulative Update

Reaction score
Downloading right now KB4056892 . Ver. 1709 for x64 based systems.

January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)
Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addresses issue where event logs stop receiving events when a maximum file size policy is applied to the channel.
  • Addresses issue where printing an Office Online document in Microsoft Edge fails.
  • Addresses issue where the touch keyboard doesn’t support the standard layout for 109 keyboards.
  • Addresses video playback issues in applications such as Microsoft Edge that affect some devices when playing back video on a monitor and a secondary, duplicated display.
  • Addresses issue where Microsoft Edge stops responding for up to 3 seconds while displaying content from a software rendering path.
  • Addresses issue where only 4 TB of memory is shown as available in Task Manager in Windows Server version 1709 when more memory is actually installed, configured, and available.
  • Security updates to Windows SMB Server, the Windows Subsystem for Linux, Windows Kernel, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Graphics, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, and the Microsoft Scripting Engine.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A word of caution! The cumulative update indicated it would perform a restart to install the update. The time it chose to restart my PC was well within active 12 hour window?
I happened to be on top of the update and performed a manual restart after creating a manual restore point. Some users may not be happy if they loose unsaved work due to an unexpected restart.

Reaction score
WOW... its not the second Tuesday of the month yet and EVERYTHING is being updated.
Creators update gets one too KB4056891 (15063.850)
Anniversary Update KB4056890 (14393.2007)
November Update KB4056888 (10586.1356)
Initial Release KB4056893 (10240.17738 LTSB only)

Does that mean next week is cancelled??

Reaction score
Grizzly Does that MS update (second Tuesday of the month) statement still stand. I sure hope so, if not they'll catch many users off guard. I still have regular back up Mondays, I say, "betta safe than sorry"

Reaction score
Who knows what is going on in their heads. I am gonna make my backups tomorrow before I install this update. I even might wait until Tuesday to see if there are more updates. I already have downloaded all CU's so far. Now I can go offline for install (in theory at least)...

Currently I am updating my installation mediums (Flash drives)...
[edit 1]
I just read in a german magazine (winfuture.de) that these updates are the response on the CPU Bugs so they might be considered very important just to prevent Spectre and Meltdown from creating hazards to your computer.
[edit 2]
it seems Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 get the same update regarding the bugs (Windows 8.1 has a Security only Rollup)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what powershell shows after the update:

2018-01-04_222127.jpg

Everything that is now green was red before the update... The rest I have to live with as the manufacturer has stopped supporting my hardware (for a long time)....

In the section " suggested actions " I had only one true before, so there is a definite improvement.

Reaction score
A word of caution! The cumulative update indicated it would perform a restart to install the update. The time it chose to restart my PC was well within active 12 hour window?
I happened to be on top of the update and performed a manual restart after creating a manual restore point. Some users may not be happy if they loose unsaved work due to an unexpected restart.

You can select a combination of "active hours" and a request to be warned, in the first instance, before a restart is performed. This, to my delight, worked for me. I was in the middle of something, when a polite message popped up on the desktop, asking me if it could restart in order to "improve" my machine.

Reaction score
Last night I downloaded this update. Said it was waiting on restart. Clicked on shutdown from the Start button and pc shut down. Booted this morning and pc came back up without installing the update. Went to Windows update and clicked restart there. Pc restarted installing the update.
Is this new? Surely my shutdown should have started the install process. and I am sure W10 used to offer
Restart, apply updates and shutdown and shutdown. IT has lost that somewhere along the line.

Reaction score
Maybe someone has a more positive answer, but, I think many of the updates are cached and, on restart, still available. At the t stage they are applied.
If you switch off your computer, th cache in memory is lost, so MS needs to download it again, as it sees you do not yet have the update.
Regarding your last sentence, I am always informed if a restart is required.

Reaction score
The update was there and in the same state as before the shutdown, waiting for a restart. Now I wonder if the behavior has changed as people complained that they did not want their pc to boot up slowly as it installed an update.

Reaction score
Tim I didn't mention it in my OP, but, my PC did exactly the same thing.
That is, the update downloaded, informed me that the cumulative update was waiting to install and it would restart at 5:00 PM. I clicked on Restart, all I got was spinning dots, it refused to Restart. I left clicked on Start > Restart. When it restarted, the Windows Defender definition update was installed but the cumulative update was still sitting there, as left, waiting for a restart. Clicked on Restart a second time, it restarted and installed. Strange behavior!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Tim I didn't mention it in my OP, but, my PC did exactly the same thing.
Mine did the same thing "BUT" on my manual restart the update went through with out an issue.

NOTE: What still puzzles me; is that my Office 2016 Pro Plus still refuses to update with the regular MS update channel. I still have to manually update my Office even though I have all the other boxes checked for other MS updates. Except the one to update from other computers.

Reaction score
You can select a combination of "active hours" and a request to be warned, in the first instance, before a restart is performed. This, to my delight, worked for me. I was in the middle of something, when a polite message popped up on the desktop, asking me if it could restart in order to "improve" my machine.
Dave I did receive the update notification. However, on the update page it specified a time (5:00 PM that the automatic restart would install the update.
My PC active hour settings are 7:00 AM - 12:00 AM? I installed it OK manually.

Bif

Reaction score
Nothing here as of yet in Manitoba,I'm sure they'll show up soon enough...

Reaction score
Fired up my second PC for updates. I said updates were current. I clicked on the Great Expectations Button and the cumulative update appeared. Stranger things have happened.
Biff I was always under the impression you where located in Australia.
icon_scratch.png

A previous post of yours on the current 4,000Km swath of Arctic cold air confirmed that you live in the "Little House on the Prairies" LOL.

Ask a Question