Desktop icons and shortcuts disappeared

Reaction score
My computer was fine last evening and then later the desktop had changed so that there were no short cut folders or icons - I did a screen shot but message that it's too large to upload. I found an solution on this site but that does not work either. When I do 'ctrl alt delete' the task manager does not appear so cannot do anything there. I have done a Malwarebytes scan but nothing shows up and am currently doing an AVG deep scan. I thought about selecting a restore point but the last one was 2 days ago and that was a Windows critical so dont really want to go back to that.

The faint icons down the left side are from what I have retrieved somehow - cant remember now as I have tried so many options!

upload_2017-4-29_13-9-6.png

I am running Windows 10 Home since end last July.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Reaction score
I have now sorted the problem - somehow or other the machine had gone into table mode - I didnt even know this mode existed! But all back to normal now.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums Rosiedee :)

Glad you sorted it now. I have as a precaution made sure that its not possible to enter tablet mode by mistake.

tab.PNG

Feel free to mark thread as solved.

Finally, have a good Saturday.

Reaction score
Good for you Rosiedee. I too had almost exactly the same problem a few weeks ago. Data nailed it. One user account on my desktop computer had been erroneously, and unknown by me, switched by Win 10 to 'tablet' mode. Strange since only one user was affected. Oh, did I mention I hate Windows 10!

Reaction score
It seems the latest Win10 updates in mid-April has caused this problems. My 2 laptops went through this same problem. But a reboot solved the problem ( it went through a black screen freeze on the first reboot) then hitting the power off and doing another cold reboot got it fixed.
But on my desktop it is another matter altogether, had to do a restore. Most of the time the updates are smooth sailing but this particular update is another MS hiccup.

Ask a Question