SOLVED I want to unlock the desktop icons so I can move them around manually but the instructions wont work

Reaction score
How do I unlock the desktop icons so I can move them manually. I clicked on view, took of the checkmarks where indicated, and I still cannot move them around manually. How can I move them around, delete them, or realign them or whatever?

Reaction score
Was that the view you have after right clicking the desktop?
If so, then UNticking
Auto arrange and
Align to grids, should do it?

Reaction score
Thanks, all of you, for trying to help. None of the suggestions worked by themselves, but I finally decided to just completely reboot my computer after removing the check marks from both the auto arrange and align to grids after a couple of hours and the complete reboot plus the above unticking finally did the trick. Thanks again for responding.

Reaction score
Thanks, all of you, for trying to help. None of the suggestions worked by themselves, but I finally decided to just completely reboot my computer after removing the check marks from both the auto arrange and align to grids after a couple of hours and the complete reboot plus the above unticking finally did the trick. Thanks again for responding.
I should have added, that I now can move all of the icons manually, as well as delete those I do not want anymore, etc.

Ask a Question