Desktop icons have changed

Reaction score
I have Office 365 which I pay for each month and the shortcuts I have on the Desktop for Publisher, Word, Excel & Powerpoint are now all blank like white pieces of paper instead of the coloured logos I usually have and the shortcuts don't work. This has happened since the last update of Windows 10 for some reason. How do I get the proper icons back? I have to go to the Start menu to open the programmes each time.

Reaction score
My thought is that Microsoft is slowly/sneakily trying to enforce a "clean desktop" look that was talked about some time ago in not having icons on it. The blank icons suggest the actual .exe file for the various applications within the Office suite can't be found. One thing to try is right-clicking those blank icons and click Properties, see if you can Change the icon or maybe Open File Location. Another choice would be to click Start, Microsoft Office and right-click each program then click More and Pin to Taskbar. Another choice that may help is to move the appropriate icons around in the list of Tiles to put them among the first things seen. If there are unneeded Tiles, they can be deleted/Unpin from Start, even Uninstall.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. I have managed to Pin them from the Start to the Taskbar following your advice and it is working. It's much quicker than having to scrawl through the list of programmes each time.
Thanks Bighorn :)

Ask a Question