SOLVED Do I need to select Printers & Devices if ....

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums and my first post ...

I have an Inspiron 5759 Laptop running Win 10 Pro, Vr. 1703, OSbld 15063.413, my kids have similar laptops as well; I would simply like to know ...

If each machine can currently access the printer(s) on their own, via our routers wi-fi, do I still need to give them sharing permissions to "Printers & Devices" when creating the Homegroup?

I have work-sensitive material/artwork on an external drive that's connected to my laptop and I don't want them accessing it by accident or otherwise.

Create A Homegroup.jpg

Would appreciate any help on the matter.

Peace,

Reaction score
The share you are referring to is not the printer share on the WiFi network. The printer and devices in the picture above are the ones on YOUR OWN computer. Since you do not want others to have access to your devices set this setting to NOT SHARED as other members of your network have separate access to the WiFi printer.That way you do not share anything on your computer unless you want to...
I personally have no Homegroup on any of my computers yet my WiFi printer gives access to any user. Only drives that I want to share are on my network.

Reaction score
The share you are referring to is not the printer share on the WiFi network. The printer and devices in the picture above are the ones on YOUR OWN computer. Since you do not want others to have access to your devices set this setting to NOT SHARED as other members of your network have separate access to the WiFi printer.That way you do not share anything on your computer unless you want to...
I personally have no Homegroup on any of my computers yet my WiFi printer gives access to any user. Only drives that I want to share are on my network.

Grizzly,

Thank You Brother, much appreciated.

Peace,

Ask a Question