SOLVED Edge Auto Starts

Reaction score
This just started happening a couple weeks ago, probably after an update. After every reboot now Edge starts itself and presents itself to the screen immediately after typing in my pin.

I don't see it listed in the Start tab of Task Manager so I'd like to know if I can cancel this behavior?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. However, I already had that setting turned off. It wouldn't apply anyway since it's about restarting apps you had running. I never use Edge so it's not running when I reboot.

Larry

Reaction score
Microsoft's Autoruns can show you everything set to run at startup. Be sure to start it as administrator if you plan to make any changes.

Ben

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. However, I already had that setting turned off. It wouldn't apply anyway since it's about restarting apps you had running. I never use Edge so it's not running when I reboot.

Larry
What do you have set for your default browser?

Reaction score
I use Firefox now that it's working well again. I had given it up after many years due to constant problems. Then Chrome started giving me trouble all the time, so I'm back on Firefox.

I downloaded and ran the autorun app. I guess it's a direct connection to the registry because after making changes I didn't see any prompt to save my work. I went out and ran it again and the changes I made are still showing with the changes so I guess it worked. It shows Chrome was also auto starting, something I didn't even know.

It will be interesting after the next update to see whether Edge starts auto-starting again. Thanks for the help.

Larry

Reaction score
Yes, Firefox is set as default. When it isn't it asks you every time if you want to make it default.
I don't like to clear the browser cache very often as it slows down logging onto frequent websites.

Reaction score
This just started happening a couple weeks ago, probably after an update. After every reboot now Edge starts itself and presents itself to the screen immediately after typing in my pin.

I don't see it listed in the Start tab of Task Manager so I'd like to know if I can cancel this behavior?

Thanks.
I have the exact same issue. I cannot find any setting with Edge to stop it from starting up every time I power on the pc. Google Chroime is my default browser. I do not know what autostart is. Is that an app one must download? Even if I had autostart and found Edge listed does that provide a way to keep it from starting at power on?

Reaction score
Microsoft's Autoruns can show you everything set to run at startup. Be sure to start it as administrator if you plan to make any changes.

Ben

Reaction score

Ben
Fine. But that leaves these questions -- 1) Is Autoruns or Autostart an App that must be downloaded? 2) Assuming I had one, does it offer the ability to prevent Edge from starting at power up?

Reaction score
Fine. But that leaves these questions -- 1) Is Autoruns or Autostart an App that must be downloaded? 2) Assuming I had one, does it offer the ability to prevent Edge from starting at power up?
If you bring up the Task Manager (Control+Alt+Delete) there is a tab for Autostart. It shows what apps are set to start when the computer does and makes it easy to disable the ones you don't want to autostart. I don't think it shows everything though.

Ask a Question