SOLVED ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

Reaction score
In Australia and just changed service providers. I am using Google Chrome (moved away from Edge as data usage skyrocketed and cannot see how to restate the main page with dozens of news photos was the cause)! When open no issues but the event logs show:
DNS Client Events 1014
Facebook in the chat area showing
upload_2017-6-12_11-43-39.png

Looking at my Windows 7 Laptop there seems to be no issue

I have turned off the WiFi on the Laptop and connected by an Ethernet cable in case there was an issue with conflicts.
I have done network reset
I have done another suggestion I found which was to change the IPV4 config to use the DNS Server address to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 but that did not help and rolled back to Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
upload_2017-6-12_11-56-10.png

I am now officially frustrated and desperate!

Reaction score
Finally seem to have brought it under control
The Window 10 Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
showed a RED X next to Bluetooth Network Connection and WiFi which is misleading.

upload_2017-6-12_14-28-28.png

What was happening is that the system was flipping to the Wireless anyway and then as connection disabled went back to the Ethernet.

I have disabled the wireless Internet in the Adaptors
upload_2017-6-12_14-23-51.png

By doing that it appears to not be searching for the wireless and exploring for alternate comms pathways. It was dropping when I refresh this page for example in Google Chrome so fairly sure issue now resolved. If someone knows why this is occurring and required in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7 it would be nice as consider it as a bug (Microsoft probably consider a feature for some reason). Hopefully this stability continues!

Reaction score
OK Spoke to early and that seemed to reduce the problem but still have the "DNS Client Events 1014" and issues! eg. "Name resolution for the name bn1304.storage.live.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." but page eventually get there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Looked up the Internet providers DNS and put in and confirmed had latest RealTek driver 10.10.714.2016. Thought better (must be optimist) but then errors again. Generally seen as a facebook chat dropping and reconnecting but then can see if go to new web page it hangs till things right again so comms definitely dropping with the 13/06/2017 9:28:06 AM error being "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.". I have to make this stable urgently as chairman of a nonprofit (suicide prevention) organisation and have video conf calls soon.
upload_2017-6-13_9-39-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-13_9-35-43.png
    upload_2017-6-13_9-35-43.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,116

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you currently or have you had in the recent past ran any third party security software (Avast, Avira, AVG, BitDefender, Comodo, McAfee, Norton, you get the idea)???

Reaction score
I have Norton 360 installed and there is some Microsoft standard install that came with this Laptop. Normally run the Norton update very regularly and short scan each night (full scan every week or so).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just as an experiment, when you have the time.....
Remove all things "Norton / Symantec" using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel, after that finishes, reboot..... regardless if it indicates you need to or not, then.....
Go here http://www.nortonsecurityonline.com/security-center/norton-removal-tool.html
Read the article then Download and run their proprietary removal tool to make sure any remnants are gone completely, reboot again and see if that does anything at all for your problem.
You can always reinstall it afterwards if it proves not to be at issue.

Reaction score
Will do but the ISP is doing some tests now (over the next 24 hours) and get their feedback first. In terms of the Ethernet internet connection what I am also seeing (and the cables locked in with the standard connection) is the
Internet Error Network Connections.JPG

When losing the connection
Internet Error Network cable unplugged.JPG

followed by
Internet Error Identifying network.JPG

and then restores back to:
Internet Error Network restored working.JPG

and just doing this continually. Believe it matches the Event 1014. I would not mind purchasing a new 5m Ethernet cable in case that is the issue but doubt it is that.

Reaction score
OK.
  1. ISP advised there has not been drops in last few days.
  2. Removed Nortons with removal tool. Face book chat and netwwork still dropping but 1014 System error disappeared.
  3. Reinstalled Nortons
  4. Turned off Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and removed cable and went to WiFi. No instability
  5. Purchased new 5m TCPIP turned on the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and turned off WiFi Problem returned
  6. OK I can work without a cabled solution but trying to diagnose the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller to determine if defective
  7. Found an Article that said the the solution is to disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (so remove the tick shown on diagram below).
Internet Error Power Controller.JPG

After a bit more testing (and reboots) that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" doesn't fix the problem and reconfirmed it is the latest Realtek Driver.
Found another suggestion to uninstall the device and then do a discover and reinstall the driver so did that however the problem returned so was not a corrupt driver! Unless needed to do some reboots.
Something seems wrong with this device (as new cable and modem relatively new (1 week) and has been tested as OK) or the HP Windows 10 interface to this device. Must be close to identifying the solution!

Reaction score
OK Spent 1+ hour with HP.
They updated the BIOS and replaced the Realtek driver remotely (looks like I could have done that myself from the HP site) to be sure all up to date and rebooted. They were then able to see the issue which fortunately was replicated remotely. The PC is to be picked up on Monday to be put in for repair (under warranty) as they believe it to be a hardware defect within the device (could be a pin on the connector or a Faulty chip). I have an older laptop I can use for the week while it is away!

Big thanks Noob Whisperer! Would not have been confident sending this beast off for repair without your help! Will close once get laptop back in later this month I hope!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's rare but sometimes the hardware does just physically fail.
I myself have had two instances of that happening.
On one motherboard the integrated sound chip went south and had to add a PCI sound card.
On another MoBo the integrated network card just stopped working and I had to replace that with an add-on card.
Occam's razor..... You beat it up..... try everything you know..... what's left..... broke is broke :)

Reaction score
Update. The PC finally got sent away (HP had numerous problems with their interface to DHL so stuffed around quite a lot) and was returned to me less than 1/2 hour ago and was reimaged with reloaded drivers and BIOS etc. Everything gone on machine so completely fresh. I had not even turned on the wireless and while downloading Google Chrome noticed the network instability again!
upload_2017-6-29_16-38-16.png

They are sending someone to my house this time and legally have to give them the opportunity to fix it. I really just want to ditch this hardware and if could get $ back would go for another system. It will take me time to reinstall Nortons and Office (I run with an older version rather than annual license costs).
From Event Viewer it looks like they reimaged with an image from 03/05/2017 (or that is what was on their system clock and just sent it back to me) as not the date when they had the machine. Then jumps to when I logged on!
upload_2017-6-29_16-47-41.png

Not happy!

Reaction score
I also did a bypass of the wireless router and used the new (~1m cable) and plugged direct into the internet and still got the comms outages (Difference from the warning symbol being a red symbol).

Just got an email as seems the last encounter has made HP think a bit more but it seems to be process of elimination and impact on customer irrelevant, rather than fix and verify by testing professionally and first time. The Email states:
"This is in reference to HP CASE ID: 500xxxxxx This email is to keep you informed that the part required to fix the unit is currently out of stock. Our planning team has advised the ETA for the part to be as:12thJuly"​
Thank God (well actually thank me) I have a back up laptop (a 7 y/o HP laptop) but it is comparatively slow and needs a reimage / upgrade to Win10 (which would cost) and the reason why got a new (defective) one. I cannot believe how much time I have wasted on this laptop.

Hopefully close this mid July now! That will be over 1 month whereas if had of paid a premium and got a MAC would I think I would have been able to take it to MAC store (5km away) and got it fixed (especially if had maintenance contract would be provided with loaner if more than 2 hours). Thanks again "Noob Whisperer" for support (and listening to me vent)!

Reaction score
After 2 hours Technician has left after installing a new mother board and still the same issue. He found that by booting off an external drive the LAN interface is OK (but did not have all the stuff needed for that laptop). He has concluded that OS and its Backup (on disk if did a restore) are both faulty / corrupted. He is ordering disks so I can reinstall OS from scratch and will take 3 or 4 days to get here and around 2 hours for me to install. He is also putting in that should have been fixed in Singapore! Not sure if that will fix it as they re-imaged the PC in Singapore with a not faulty OS but have to give it a chance. Have his business card with phone number and if not fixed when I reinstall he will swap it out completely. It is not me or the local router and definitely in the Laptop itself!

So frustrating and time wasting for both HP and myself! Problem remains unresolved but must be getting closer as well over a month now.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are at least getting some attention from HP regarding your problem, even if you're not making much progress.
He has concluded that OS and its Backup (on disk if did a restore) are both faulty / corrupted. He is ordering disks so I can reinstall OS from scratch
I'm a bit surprised that they wouldn't ship a drive that had everything already installed so you could just swap it.
I assume he checked the hard disk for errors and found it failing?
On the up side.... IF you perform a custom clean install, at least it won't have all the bloatware that typically comes with it.

Reaction score
Sorry the hard disk is right (just original factory corrupted (and maybe one done in Singapore a couple weeks ago??)) and they are supplying the CD which will reload the whole OS back onto the hard drive (with partition etc) for this PC. We will see if it solves the issue next week (I hope).

Reaction score
Huge envelope from FEDEX with a (standard size) USB and instructions. Boot from the USB and re-formats the DISK (with new restore partition) and installs a clean OS. Well that is what was meant to do as it did not work, saved the log to another USB and issued to HP. A few more calls while they analyse the file dump (not sure if they actually did that) and assured they would sort out next call on Mon 24 July and bring to a resolution. Rang late on 24 July (as they did not call) and they wanted to get back to me with another technician will call me back tomorrow so reminded them what they said, and after a few minutes on hold, advised they would swap the unit out. If paid for the time spent on this computer (at normal charge out rates) I could have bought many!

Under consumer law here, I have to give them the option to fix and replace but honestly had enough of HP/Windows10 and would prefer a refund. In my capacity as Chairman of a not-for-profit, I have to do some equipment refresh across a geographically distributed work force (possibly only 5 or 6 units in next few months) so cannot pay staff (phone line support and field staff) for 6 weeks without a computers, so HP not an option and maybe I should learn Apple.

Now the ridiculous part. They asked for the original receipt which I scanned and sent and get a message they have closed the case (that was the second case number). Hours later they issue a new case number (the 3rd case number which I suspect will cover the replacement process). I have seen many IT service desks (particularly outsourced or incentivised by KPI's) to operate like this and consider it extremely unprofessional. Lets face it:
* My report: 1 case and ~6 weeks to duration, 1 confirmed issue, x hours spent, unresolved, solution: swap it out!
* Their report: 3 cases, each averaged 2 weeks, 3 confirmed issues, x/3 hours spent on each (i.e. average turnaround 2 weeks), 2 issues resolved, 1 issue unresolved and swap out.
How does this help HP monitor their support and improve their service?

I will close this when the new Laptop works. For all I know maybe no-one else has used the network cable on this model computer!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Still following the saga.
Please continue to keep us posted.
Fingers crossed.