SOLVED Erratic Broswer And Mouse Behaviour

Reaction score
For the last few days I have had erratic browser and mouse behaviour. I am using Firefox V40.0.1 as the default browser and also have Microsoft Edge installed. The erratic behaviour is the same in both. They are both erratic when using the back button going back several pages at a time or sometimes just returns to my homepage, the backspace button on the keyboard works fine and both browsers just go back the one page at a time. Also the browsers forward buttons shows the same erratic behaviour. Other programmes show no sign of misbehaving. The other thing thats happening is that the mouse (a Logitech wireless mouse) is misbehaving on left click sometimes requiring several clicks to select. However when clicking on a button the button gives and indication that it has been activacted but nothing happens and I have to click again to get it to work. Right click works fine. I have gone into the mouse settings and changed all of them and applied the new settings with no disernable change in behaviour and then gone back into settings and reset the original settings again with no change in behaviour. This behaviour is also intermittant and doesn't happen every time I use the mouse. I have also tried a USB mouse and get the same behaviour. I am now suspecting a Windows update that happened a while ago. Would it be OK to remove this update, under the new system can I even remove the update and if I do I am sure it will only update itself again and cause the same problem. It is a niggle I can live with in hope that the next update will cure it but any advice would be most welcome.

Reaction score
Strange one this I think it was the mouse left click microswitch not working properly as the usb mouse is now working perfectly although I can't explain how the wireless mouse left click could depress buttons on the screen but have nothing happen. I will have to put this one down the the gremlins that live in the dark places in the machine....

Reaction score
A little bit of further information, The mouse is a logitech M185 I found a video on youtube on how to dismantle and clean it, However if you watch it there is no need to snap off the top of the mouse as stated just ease it back a bit and it unclips without any force. I found no crud in there but gave it a good clean with compresses air anyway. I also found that the replacement battery (A cheap supermarket brand) was a fraction shorter than the Duracell one the mouse came with and was a little bit loose so I changed it for a Duracell and everything works fine on it now.

Reaction score
I also found that the replacement battery (A cheap supermarket brand) was a fraction shorter than the Duracell one the mouse came with and was a little bit loose so I changed it for a Duracell and everything works fine on it now.

Never knew that.
Thank you for the info.

Reaction score
You are welcome, I had never considered that there might be a difference in battery lengths, but it was a real cheapie battery that I had laying around when the original played out, it was about a millimetre shorter than the old one. I guess that it wasn't making a strong enough contact or something. Or the compressed air could have blown a little bit of muck out of the microswitch. What I should have done was try to see if it worked after each action instead of noticing that the battery was loose at the same time I dismantled it. Still its working fine now which is the main thing.

Ask a Question