SOLVED Internet Access Erratic

Reaction score
Hey guys, seems so easy, but not:
My win10pro had worked WWW on Opera 42.0.2393.94 just fine w/Ethernet connection to the router; same with Chrome 55.0.2883.87m and Maxthon, also 3 wireless printers all good etc.
For the past 3 weeks or so Internet access is on-off-off-off-on-off etc etc for sometimes an hour or more; however other PCs (winXP, win7) do have WWW -can't be the ISP or router.

My i7-2600K w. 12GB DRAM PC has an on-bard Realtek, but even with a USB-WiFi -- the same.
Built-in MS-Problem-finding apps say: you have no Ethernet connected (=BS); or: you have no wireless active: at the same time the pop-up offers Airplane-Mode (if wanted) meaning that it is deactivated, and "WiFi connected safe to my Router-OK".
I am lucky if I can send 'this' out. Where do I start?
Any idea?
Tnx a lot - Willy

Attachments

• sS2017.01.05 Internet.jpg
    sS2017.01.05 Internet.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 541
Reaction score
Have you checked for updated drivers for your WiFi and ethernet card?? I myself have an issue with my Wifi connections being on and off but I contributed that to the fact that my drivers are not really for Windows 10 as the computer is already 10 years old so I am running the drivers in compatibility mode.

Are these interruptions on ethernet as well?? Is your computer set up for DHCP or do you have a static IP address?
Your network cable may be damaged. I am just brain storming here...
BTW: Location Deutschland?? (Just curious as I am German)

Reaction score
Hallo Grizzly,
a- I did check for updates, 'driveUpdater' program did that for me
b- I'm working with this win10p for 2 years now, same machine, same everything; of course win10pro updated itself many times; Ethernet card checked and found to be 'good' = same problem; changed over to built-in wireless = same; plugged in a USB wireless = same;
c- really curious is that (whenever it decides to do so) it comes back on its own...
d- DHCP ist set
e- have also (just in case) reset the wireless-fed router = no difference
f- network cable -- well, but then I ask how come that it returns to normal over and again?
g- German-born? guilty as charged... but right now -- mainly Spain
Tnx for yr answer,
Rgds
(PS where are you?)

Reaction score
You can try one more thing: Give any of your connections (ethernet as well as Wifi) a static IP address. If there is no improvement I have to assume a hardware problem (I guess its a Laptop??) with the main board.

g- German-born? guilty as charged... but right now -- mainly Spain
born and raised in Germany, currently living in the USA

Reaction score
Had a party, and on top a bit later some involvement in a local party's plans - hence this late.
The PC is a full-blown big one, with 5 HDDs and 2 SSDs, 2 monitors etc. Will try what you suggest, can't explain --if a serious error were true for whatever failing part-- why then the internet starts working normally w/o problems for a while; unpredictable.
I will also take an extra Ethernet board and plug it in, but then: I did replace the on-board wifi with a USB wifi - same failure over and again.
Re "born and raised in Germany, currently living in the USA" - that's funny, me too; my story is longer (20+ years South America in-between) but after 6 years 'BRD' to the US; a dozen years California; now Spain, Germany, USA, Spain etc.
Und dann noch: Ein supergutes Neues Jahr!

Reaction score
Thanks to all, especially to Grizzly.
I had the usual automatic update for win10pro, I unplugged all extra-Wifi, let the system return to its roots and -suddenly and w/o signs of me having done a thing- all started working fine.
I am flabbergasted how often some strange behavior after an automated update was eradicated by yet another update.
Hope this goes on. Best regards and a fabulous 2017 and many more.
Will

Ask a Question