SOLVED no internet access thru w10 but working in virtual box?!

Reaction score
Asus N501 VW Win10 with all updates to date.
Had this laptop for a month working great then after last Windows update? -- anyway sometime recently -- network started flaking and now has quit. I can connect, show trickle data, but no internet.

However using a VirtualBox bridged adapter in Linux VM my internet is fine.

My drivers say they're up to date I've disabled/enabled...

Wireless / cable makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A recent update has caused big problems with internet connections - normally a restart or following the network would fix the DHCP issue. You could try manually patching if you're still having problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227/windows-10-update-kb3206632

If that doesn't work or it's already applied, you could try running the following 3 commands from the admin command prompt (right click start button to access this):

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
ipconfig /renew

Your bridged connection may work as it's obtaining a separate IP lease from the DHCP server, which seems to suggest it is related to the recent Windows 10 update.

Reaction score
A recent update has caused big problems with internet connections - normally a restart or following the network would fix the DHCP issue. You could try manually patching if you're still having problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227/windows-10-update-kb3206632

If that doesn't work or it's already applied, you could try running the following 3 commands from the admin command prompt (right click start button to access this):

Your bridged connection may work as it's obtaining a separate IP lease from the DHCP server, which seems to suggest it is related to the recent Windows 10 update.

Thanks for your response, Ian
I am already at that update.
I ran the commands you suggest, and restarted after each one. I also "forgot" my previous wieless connection and renewed it., but the only effect is that now the VM I was using has DNS problems as well.

So I am writing this from yet another VM.

As a last desperate measure I may re-install factory Win10. Is there anything else I could do.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you go to Control Panel > View Network Status > Click on the connections : text (mine says "Ethernet"). This should bring up your network status. Could you please post a screenshot of the window that pops up, plus the information from the "details" button. It should let us know if it's a DHCP problem or some other error.

Can you access local network resources via your browser, like the router web admin page?

What happens if you go to the command prompt and "tracert" a remote domain (and a remote IP address).

It sounds like it's a problem with obtaining a lease, as the physical connection is fine (due to 2nd VM working). If that MS patch didn't work, the next step I would do is to temporarily disable any AV/Firewall software to see that helps (I suspect that isn't the case here, but worth checking). I'd also see if you've got anything going on with your router, it would be worth restarting it.

If your PC is obtaining a lease and it really is a DNS error, you could try manually specifying DNS servers on the status window I mentioned in the first paragraph (click Properties > IP v4 > Properties) and specify some test DNS servers manually (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 are free Google ones).

Let's see what those screenshots and tracert returns look like and I can advise further :).

Reaction score
Ok! Done.
As I was following your instructions Ian I noticed that my DNS was hardcoded to a 10. address. I switched it to auto and Hey Presto.
My best guess is that when I was running a VPN it failed to complete its clean up. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Anyway

Ask a Question