Wired connection "no Internet access" but works every few seconds

Reaction score
Today all of a sudden I'm having connection issues with my wired connection.
I have the yellow triangle that says "no Internet access". Funny thing is every few seconds I can access the Internet. Sometimes the yellow icon goes away, sometimes it stays. But the connection cuts out within seconds every time and the yellow triangle reappears.

CMD ipconfig looks the same when connection works and when it doesn't.

I've tried renewing ip and netsh winsock reset.
I've restarted the router, restarted pc, enabled/disabled the net adapter and two other pc's on the same network have the same issue.

Attachments

• 2016-12-16 17.07.59.jpg
    2016-12-16 17.07.59.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this the same system you were having your previous wireless issues with?
What is the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the Router you are using?

Reaction score
Do you have a line filter on your phone line? If so try temporarily disconnecting it. They do fail and will cause intermittent disconnects. If you don't have a line filter, install one they are cheap enough.

Reaction score
Is this the same system you were having your previous wireless issues with?
What is the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the Router you are using?
Same system yes. But the wireless problems I had previously were fixed by a simple router restart. I live at a new place now, different router.
The Router is a technicolor Tg799tsvn v2technicolor.

Attachments

• 2016-12-16 19.30.41.jpg
    2016-12-16 19.30.41.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 754
Reaction score
Do you have a line filter on your phone line? If so try temporarily disconnecting it. They do fail and will cause intermittent disconnects. If you don't have a line filter, install one they are cheap enough.
I'm not sure, it looks like this

Attachments

• 2016-12-16 19.33.48.jpg
    2016-12-16 19.33.48.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 611
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you have there. Looks like a European type of power line set up. The phone line filters connect to the phone line and then to your modem/router. I would open your internet network sharing centre and check the settings. Usually clicking on the internet icon in the lower right system tray allows you to access your network settings.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF that router is provided by your Internet Service Provider, you might want to check with them and see if they have any suggestions as to how to address your issue and ask if there might be a firmware update for that particular device.
I assume you have experimented with a different cable and a different port on the router?
Do you have other network nodes that are also using this router, that are not experiencing this issue?

Reaction score
IF that router is provided by your Internet Service Provider, you might want to check with them and see if they have any suggestions as to how to address your issue and ask if there might be a firmware update for that particular device.
I assume you have experimented with a different cable and a different port on the router?
Do you have other network nodes that are also using this router, that are not experiencing this issue?
It is provided by our service provider.
I've tried using different cable, using WiFi, only having one pc connected to it and it's all the same.
I also tried setting a static ip but it's still not stable. I guess this means the Router is just shot right? Time to get a new one I guess.

Edit: I've been able to stay connected for a couple hours at a time but I still get the same problem after a while... So frustrating.
It has to be the Router malfunctioning right? Why would this happen all of a sudden. And when I do manage to stay connected it works fine but then I just lose connection and it becomes unstable...

Attachments

• 2016-12-17 17.33.19.jpg
    2016-12-17 17.33.19.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked your system for any infections (virus or malware) using something like these free scanners
ADWcleaner from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/
Malwarebytes from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

IF so and it appears to be clean, then I would definite follow-up with your ISP and see if they can replace the device.
The mention of the line filter which is usually an in-line device that works with DSL service and usually goes between your phone line and the phone jack on the wall. It may need replacing, sometimes they can be bad out of the box or can go bad over time.

Reaction score
Have you checked your system for any infections (virus or malware) using something like these free scanners
ADWcleaner from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/
Malwarebytes from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

IF so and it appears to be clean, then I would definite follow-up with your ISP and see if they can replace the device.
The mention of the line filter which is usually an in-line device that works with DSL service and usually goes between your phone line and the phone jack on the wall. It may need replacing, sometimes they can be bad out of the box or can go bad over time.
I ran malwarebytes and 0 threats detected. I also ran some network info script a user called Neemobeer suggested. I uploaded the results from that.

Some guy on reddit asked me to try pinging the router when the connection cuts out. Uploaded the result from that as well.

It's went from connecting and disconnecting every couple of seconds to now working for between 5 minutes and a couple of hours and then disconnecting for a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes.
I'm stumped.

Attachments

• network_information_yellowtriangle.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 531
  • routerping.png
    routerping.png
    79 KB · Views: 625

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The router ping looks good 1 or 2 milliseconds with zero loss, but.....
That's the inside edge of your router and I suspect that your problem is with the outside edge which relies on your DSL line to maintain its' info.
Figure out, the next time everything is working, what your outside address is by going to
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
and writing down the info.
Make sure, when it is working that you can ping both inside and outside edges, then.....
When it stops working ping both again and see if the results are the same.

Reaction score
I've had a similar problems with my modem. After contacting my service provider, it turns it was a defective capacitor on the modem power supply side that they were aware of. They replaced the device. I also had another similar frequent disconnect problem more so after a rain fall. That was due to a grounded phone line on the service providers side.

Reaction score
The router ping looks good 1 or 2 milliseconds with zero loss, but.....
That's the inside edge of your router and I suspect that your problem is with the outside edge which relies on your DSL line to maintain its' info.
Figure out, the next time everything is working, what your outside address is by going to
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
and writing down the info.
Make sure, when it is working that you can ping both inside and outside edges, then.....
When it stops working ping both again and see if the results are the same.

Yepp, "outside" doesn't ping during disconnect.

I went to my providers website, filled out some automatic troubleshooting thing and it said they needed to send a technician to the local station. So I guess that's that!

Attachments

• pingpingping.png
    pingpingping.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 552

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well at least they were responsive to the problem.
Did they give you any indication as to when you might expect some results?

Reaction score
Yeah, it was done automatically all I had to was enter my phone number.
They said the 21st. Thanks for your replies!

Ask a Question