EXE in Startup folder not running

Reaction score
Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another.

Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility changes so it would run. It worked fine after a few test startups but now all the sudden it no longer works.

Not sure if MS installed any updates between it working and not working, all I know is it ain't working now.
It shows up in task manager but really isn't running. Any ideas?

TKS...

PS: If I open the Startup folder and double click the shortcut it runs just fine.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi vandexa1,

There is no particular reason for any Windows update to have affected your Startup folder.

Some questions for you:
  • Does the program you wrote have any dependencies that need to load at boot time?
  • How many User Accounts are on your computer?
  • When you say you added a shortcut to the Startup folder, which one do you mean?
    • Startup Folder for the current user only

%userprofile%\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

• Or Startup Folder for all users

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

• As an alternate have you considered modifying the Registry Run or RunOnce keys to get your program starting that way?
  • For current user:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (to run all the time)
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (to run once only)
  • For all users:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (to run all the time)
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (to run once only)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
"There is no particular reason for any Windows update to have affected your Startup folder."

Sorry my friend, I have to:

LOL

But I don't honestly think that is his problem. anyway.

Ask a Question