Explorer.exe doesn't start on it's own, Command Prompt isn't opening

Reaction score
Not sure why this is started happening, my anti-virus is not showing any problems in terms of malware, but my explorer.exe stopped booting on its own, I can't access command prompt because it just doesn't start, every time I restart my PC it logs me out of everything on Chrome. Lastly, whenever I run MS Word 2016 and try to change the font, the app crashes and then when I go into task manager or any folder in the file explorer(or anywhere on the pc) it changes to blank names whenever I hover over it with my mouse.

I have created a new user with admin rights where the explorer.exe launches on its own and command prompt works just fine.

I have tried these steps on the new user profile
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system

but it didn't work, although it said it fixed something but after the restart, everything was the same with regards to my issues on my main user profile

I have also tried Windows Memory Diagnostic mentioned in this article

which produced no errors

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 Build #18363
I am also running Kaspersky Internet Security as a third party anti-virus
I have a hard drive Model Hitachi HDS721010CLA632 and an SSD Model Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB

Unfortunately, I haven't backed anything up in years

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have created a new user with admin rights where the explorer.exe launches on its own and command prompt works just fine.
That's good. I would suggest using that account to perform your backup of all critical data. I'd suggest looking into some good imaging software.
AND
Going forward you might consider using that new account as your own.
Use that account to activate the hidden Admin Account
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes
Log into that Admin account and from there copy your data from your old (apparently corrupt) user profile, into the appropriate containers in the new working profile.
At which point you can deactivate the hidden Admin Account
Code:
net user Administrator /active:no
We've seen many instances where a user profile becomes corrupt and there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer as to exactly why this happens. It's often attributed to any number of third party software, frequently Security Suites from third party vendors get the blame.
According to Microsoft, User Profile can get corrupted if the Antivirus program on your computer was busy scanning the PC while you were trying to Login to your User Account.
Frankly it could be anything from an early indicator of a hardware issue to frequent system crashes resulting in hard restarts either automatic or forced manual resets.

Ask a Question