Explorer.EXE System Call Failed on Most Win 10 Programs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've had this nagging problem that seems to have gotten worse and I've tried fixing it to no avail.
When I start up my computer (custom built), there seems to around a 75% chance that none of the Windows related programs work and some return an error message "Explorer.EXE System call failed."
As a list, here are some programs I can confirm suffer from this issue.
Mail for Windows 10, Win10 store, and of course Explorer itself all return the error message. Other programs that I noticed don't work or respond but don't return an error message (they just don't start up(?)) include the Windows 10 Image viewer/gallery, as well as the Start Menu and Cortana.

Also, it might be unrelated, but the volume icon that appears in the top left of the screen when you change volume is frozen there. It doesn't update the number according to further volume changes and when I mouse over it, the mouse just turns into the blue circle. As far as I know my sound drivers are up to date but I won't assume anything here.

If anyone has found fixes for these from safe sources I'd love to try them. Many thanks in advance!
P.S. If you need more system info on specs or images feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to supply them.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi DaveyJones,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you able to post the full error message you are seeing?

For example, such an error may appear like so:

Code:
:: (26EEE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB 094C98683}\0 System Call Failed in Windows

Also it would be helpful to know what specifications your home build computer has.

Given some of your symptoms in imply applications are freezing on you, it would certainly be worth checking your RAM is seated correctly, and that nothing has died on you.

A corrupted Registry or System files could also cause these symptoms, so running a System File Check to test your OS for integrity would be worth while. To do that you need to:
  • Press winkey + S then type command in the search field
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter key

Ultimately, assuming hardware is fine, cables are connected correctly, and if a System File Check finds no issues, it may be a case of choosing to either do a clean install of Windows 10, or Download the Windows 10 ISO that matches your current install, then right-click the download and run the Setup.exe and choose to save personal files & settings to effectively reinstall Windows 10 over the top of itself.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! While no errors occurred yesterday, today they were back. I tried running a System File Check and it returned nothing. (Though my mail worked briefly afterwards.)
I also looked inside my desktop and didn't see anything out of place. My computer hasn't been moved (maybe nudged) around so I doubt or perhaps rather hope that nothing is wrong on the hardware end.
I'm going to try and do a Windows 10 reinstall, but before I do that I'd figure I give you some extra info.

Some basic specs about my computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: Pen Support

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Storage: 224GB Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Drive, 3 Terabyte Drive

I also grabbed a couple of error messages for you. There seem to be two different types.

Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8700.40645.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe+microsoft.windowslive.mail was terminated because it took too long to suspend.

as well as

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Photos.exe, version: 2017.39091.16340.0, time stamp: 0x59f7fdbc
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0xf6706fe0
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00000000006e7269
Faulting process id: 0x95c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d35d8ce9b09dc7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2017.39091.16340.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 44f8df48-fa19-4ac4-8c56-133761e286f6
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2017.39091.16340.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I hope this helps. I'm going to see if a Windows 10 install helps.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Looking at the errors you posted you could attempt to re-register the individual Apps mentioned, i.e. Photos, Mail & Calendar, and Store, or alternatively you could remove the apps [ i.e. Uninstall them ], then reinstall them.

If you were to download a Windows 10 ISO file that matches your currently installed version you could right-click the ISO download then select Mount which will create a virtual drive, and inside that drive, select Setup.exe and follow the prompts to install it over the top of your current version. During this process you'll have the choice of doing a clean install, or saving your current files and settings. Either way, these Apps would be reinstalled at the same time.

If you want to try re-registering the apps here is how:
  • Right-click on Start and select Search
  • In the Search field type command then press Enter key
  • In the Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following commands:
For Mail & Calendar app

Code:
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command “& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps*).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}”

Press Enter key to execute

For Photos

Code:
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command “& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *Photos*).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}”

For Store

Code:
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command “& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsStore*).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}”

Now type exit and press Enter key to close the Command Prompt console.

Sample image showing the three commands in Command Prompt console:

reregister.png

If you want to try reinstalling these apps which will install a fresh copy over the top of an existing installed app, here is how:

This is a little trickier to do, if you only want to reinstall specific apps. Nevertheless, it can be done.
  • Right-click on Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control prompts you click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Select Name, PackageFullName

Sample images

img1.png

img2.png

Executing the above command displays a full list of your Apps with their full names including build & architecture details! This is technically referred to as the Default apps' AppxManifest.xml file paths.

It may be a long list so you may need to scroll down to see the particular apps you are seeking.​
  • Scroll (if needed) to bottom of list, then type or copy & paste the following into the console
Code:
Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\****\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

Note: Do note press Enter key yet!
  • Now scroll up to Locate the app you wish to remove and reinstall, then double-left-click on its Package Full Name (the right column contains the package full name) to highlight it.
img3.png

(Sample: The highlighted Package Full Name in image is the Mail & Calendar)
  • Once the Package Full Name is highlighted as in image above, press Enter key. After pressing the Enter key the highlight will disappear, but its content will be saved to your clipboard read for pasting.
  • Scroll down to the command prompt where you previously typed or pasted the last command. The cursor should still be blinking after the last character of the command.
Tap your left arrow key to move cursor to the back slash that follows the 4 asterisks as illustrated below:

img4.png

Now tap your Backspace key to delete the asterisks then right-click your mouse once which will paste the Package Full Name you just copied a moment ago between the two back slashes.

Now press your End key to move the cursor to the end of entire command and press Enter key to execute

Sample image

img5.png

• Repeat this process for your Photos app and Store app if you wish

Sample images of Package Full Name for Photos and Store apps

(Note: Build numbers may vary from sample image)

Photos app

img6.png

Store app
img7.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried re-registering the apps. I'll let you know if the problem persists and will try another method that you have generously provided. You've been an amazing help! I couldn't do this without you or I'd be risking downloading "fixes" from the web.

I noticed that these fixes were targeted at the specific apps. While I won't assume, does this address the Start Menu/Cortana issue? (As well as the volume indicator issue, though I think it is something else and the problem has been so infrequent that we can pass it by.)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Cortana is another app that you'll see in the PowerShell window, so you'll need to use the steps above but select Cortana should you wish to reinstall it.

You will find it listed as Microsoft.Windows.Cortana in the left column with the Package Full Name in the right column as illustrated below:

img8.png

Note: Your build number may vary from what you see in above illustration.

The Start menu can be affected by numerous things which make it difficult to get it working as wanted. I'm hopeful though that if you can sort out the apps giving your trouble, other things will fall into place.

The Volume slider I would assume is a third party one [ perhaps from software that was bundled with the computer ].

You may need to go to Control Panel then while viewing by Category click
Programs then Programs and Features where you may find third party software installed for audio drivers etcetera, which you may be able to either reinstall, or just uninstall and allow Windows to manage audio. It might be wise to create a Restore point though before doing that just in case you lose audio altogether; as if that occurs you can then use the Restore point to return the computer back to current status where I assume your audio is working, apart from the volume slider.

Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the advice. The errors popped up again today even after I re-registered them. (As a note, after the apps fell into depravity, I tried to re-register them again to see if that would affect anything. Instead, the command prompt got stuck trying to process the request.)

Also, it could be a coincidence, but it seems the volume issue popped up the same time as the app issue when I tried to test them today.

I have done a reinstall of Windows 10. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Ask a Question