SOLVED Explorer.exe Missing In Task Manager

Reaction score
I did a restart and when the Gateway Computer restarted there were NO desktop or taskbar icons. Did a little research reading and was told to remove and then run a new task for explorer.exe. But there was no explorer.exe in my Task manager list and it would not make or run a new task for explorer.exe. Now I only have a few basic icons (button) I can use on my computer. How do I get explorer.exe back?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Nownthen,

Hopefully you keyboard shortcuts are still working:
  • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager
  • Click on File | select Run new task
  • Type explorer.exe | then click OK
  • Close Task manager

I am curious though whether you are trying to literally find "explorer.exe" in your Task Manager list.

What you should be looking for is Windows Explorer which has a yellow folder icon with the blue clip just like on your Taskbar.

Another thought: It is possible your system is affected by some form of Malware which has corrupted the Shell execution of explorer.exe

A quick way to check for this is to open your Registry Editor and take a look at a specific key:
  • Press Winkey + R
  • Type regedit press Enter | click Yes
  • Expand the keys in left pane to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>SOFTWARE
>Microsoft
>Windows NT
>CurrentVersion
Winlogon​
  • Click on Winlogon to view contents in right pane
In right pane double click Shell
  • Under its Value Data: you should see explorer.exe and no other entry!
  • If there are any other entries highlight all and delete, then replace with explorer.exe
  • Press F5 to refresh Registry
  • Close registry editor
  • Run a thorough Malware scan
  • Reboot computer

Anyway, let us know whether or not you succeeded with above steps.

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Regedit32, Thank you for your advice I will save it in case it happens again. But I did find a way to fix my problem before I could read your instructions.
And to answer your question Yes it was the Windows Explorer (the yellow Folder icon) in the Task Manager List that was gone. I tried to made a new task of explore.exe but it didn't work. What I did was to open the Command Prompt via the Task Manager and ran chkdsk c: /r /f It took many hours (5) but when it was done everything was back and working again. Don't know what happened to cause this but I just upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10 last week and had no problem with the upgrade but then this happened on a restart; hope it is just a once in a long time occurrence. Thanks again for your help, as I said I have saved it just in case it happens again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Dear Regedit32, Thank you for your advice I will save it in case it happens again. But I did find a way to fix my problem before I could read your instructions.
And to answer your question Yes it was the Windows Explorer (the yellow Folder icon) in the Task Manager List that was gone. I tried to made a new task of explore.exe but it didn't work. What I did was to open the Command Prompt via the Task Manager and ran chkdsk c: /r /f It took many hours (5) but when it was done everything was back and working again. Don't know what happened to cause this but I just upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10 last week and had no problem with the upgrade but then this happened on a restart; hope it is just a once in a long time occurrence. Thanks again for your help, as I said I have saved it just in case it happens again.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

The Check Disk command as would System File Checker does take a while. However, in this case it has helped you resolve your issue so that is good news.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did a restart and when the Gateway Computer restarted there were NO desktop or taskbar icons. Did a little research reading and was told to remove and then run a new task for explorer.exe. But there was no explorer.exe in my Task manager list and it would not make or run a new task for explorer.exe. Now I only have a few basic icons (button) I can use on my computer. How do I get explorer.exe back?
I'm here because my USB device did not show anymore under show hidden icons. Someone posted helps with 4 ways to fix it. One of them was to go to Task Manager and find "Windows Explorer". There was no such listing in task manager ****Bizarre as I'm writing this I had another look at Task manager and saw Window Explorer listed in the margin. and when I right click on it I saw "Restart" but in the 'tip' it showed 'restart' where you see "End Task" Anyway I did restarted it and now it is showing like in the 'tip' as a folder icon and, yes, if I click on it "Restart" shows up on the bottom Right of the screen...And indeed my USB icon is back under 'Show hidden Icons'
Here I seem to see people inquiring about Explorer .exe Is is the same? and my guess it is. If so i wonder why there is 2 ways to see it?

Reaction score
I did an update and now my windows search is there but not responding. Also, my windows start button still isn’t working. I was finally able to get my folder back on my page but the file explorer and windows button still doesn’t work. OMGosh, I’m so frustrated. I’m a photographer and can’t use my computer. Every time I update there are issues.

Reaction score
I'm here because my USB device did not show anymore under show hidden icons. Someone posted helps with 4 ways to fix it. One of them was to go to Task Manager and find "Windows Explorer". There was no such listing in task manager ****Bizarre as I'm writing this I had another look at Task manager and saw Window Explorer listed in the margin. and when I right click on it I saw "Restart" but in the 'tip' it showed 'restart' where you see "End Task" Anyway I did restarted it and now it is showing like in the 'tip' as a folder icon and, yes, if I click on it "Restart" shows up on the bottom Right of the screen...And indeed my USB icon is back under 'Show hidden Icons'
Here I seem to see people inquiring about Explorer .exe Is is the same? and my guess it is. If so i wonder why there is 2 ways to see it?

Hi I saw your post and wanted you to please explain what you meant by margin. I didn't understand that part.

Reaction score
I am having same problem. Everytime I follow the suggestions above; the explorer.exe shows up just fine but as soon as I restart it disappears again and I am right back to being unable to add anything to the taskbar. Please help

Ask a Question